20 | when i'm with you pt. 1

Start from the beginning

“Alright,” she says with a sigh. “Have it your way.” She turns to face the stove again before spinning back on her heels to face me for what feels like the tenth time since we've been in the kitchen. “Is your boyfriend coming to pick you up in a few hours, or is Farlan?”

The question was random, catching me off guard. I blink twice before replying, an answer processing slower than usual. “Uh, Eren? Maybe, I remember him saying in a text that he didn't want to stop by for some reason. I've actually been avoiding him since, well, yeah…”

“I know; he's told me,” she blurts out, returning to the stove. “And yes, I talk to your friends. They tell me things that you don't- like that one night in November…”

Shit.

“Oh, really?” I ask stupidly, pretending it wasn't a big deal even though my cheeks burned with the shameful shades of red truth.

“Mhm, and I also heard about that one time when–,” she continued, proud of herself that she had done that to me, it seemed.

“Okay mom, I get it,” I say, slightly irked with the continuous bringing up of my bad decisions.

“Moving on. I was asking about Eren because Carla is worried about him. He hasn't returned any of her calls or heard any word from him since the spring recital,” my mother informs me.

“Weird,” I muse aloud, letting a quiet yawn escape my lips. “Maybe he's avoiding her for a reason,” I suggest.

“That's what I thought too, but Eren's not like that. He always talks to me, but he even dropped contact with me as well, and I can’t fathom why. I thought you'd know something since you two are so lovey dovey.” she tacks on.

“Ew! No mom, we aren't ‘lovey dovey,’” I correct. “He comes home at night and sleeps until the afternoon; nothing about his behavior has changed really... Then again, I haven't actually talked to him,” I admit with a shrug, not the least bit concerned by even my own words.

“I see. Well, try and get him to at least talk to Carla. She seems worried and with what’s going on, I obviously can’t help her.”

“Yeah, sure…”

I relax my shoulders and lay my crossed arms over the counter. My head fits perfectly inside the curves of my arms, so I take advantage of the moment and rest. My mother continues her tasks, occasionally looking over her shoulder to check on me in case I pass out or something. I was oblivious to her concern at this point, I was too sleepy to even answer her after she called my name twice in my haze.

* * *

I am awakened by the sound of a doorbell. The sound was rapid and continuous, like a child trying to get the resident's attention on Halloween night for their treats. But now the little shits are getting impatient... I groan and drag myself to the front door before hearing mother call out “See who's at the door!” from her room upstairs.

I don't bother to reply, but stand on the balls of my feet to peak through the peephole. Seeing that it was Eren on the other side the rapid doorbell ringing makes perfect sense. My heart leaps from my chest, unsure of how to answer the door without stumbling my over words.

Wasn't he avoiding this place for a reason? I think to myself.

Noticing there was no answer yet, he continues to rapidly hit the doorbell. My mother yells once more.

“Levi, please get the door before I chop their fingers off!”

I flinch at my mother's voice and unlock the door. The click signals Eren to stop pressing the bell and he takes a step back, his hands in his jean pockets. I hold my breath, staring up at Eren with no intention of speaking first. I have no idea what to say, but when ten seconds go by, and I am about to part my lips to speak he interrupts me.