02: The New Kid Is A Badass

Start from the beginning

I saw Mr. Sullivan's bald head peeking out of the crowd, and I quickly made my way there.

Thank the lord Mr. Sullivan was the tallest person I'd ever met.  

I squeezed and excuse me'd through the students, and finally sat down in my seat.  I didn't doubt that Mr. Sulllivan saw me coming late, but I knew he'd look past it, because, well, I was one of the richest student at school, and they treated me specially.

They called students from youngest to oldest, and after our Head master said the exact same speech as last year—oh I'm sorry, it's traditional—the youngest freshman came out, looking extremely nervous.  He shook the Headmaster's hand and stood at the edge of the stage.  Other freshmen came out one by one, lining up right next to each other.

I remembered when I was in that position last year, and I was close to last because I have an early birthday.  Compared to everyone else, the crowd clapped a little more enthusiastically, and they cheered a little louder.

Honestly, the way they treated students so unfairly was ridiculous.

After twenty minutes of sitting through nervous 14 year old kids getting on stage, all the freshmen had walked out.  A final round of applause went for them, and everyone was ready to start their first day of school.  Then, the headmaster cleared his throat and spoke into the mic.

"That's all the freshmen.  But before we leave, please welcome a few new students that will join us this year."

A tall boy came out, his blonde hair casually falling around his face.  He looked extremely bored, with his hands tucked inside his pockets and back slouched slightly.  I couldn't see his face clearly, but he looked sort of grumpy.

 He took his hands out of his pockets to shake the headmaster's hand, and he stood up a little taller.  Just with his body language it was obvious he was confident in himself.  His eyes searched the crowd, and I swear our eyes met for a second.  But it was only for a split second, and his eyes moved on to search the crowd with judgemental eyes.

He was looking down on everyone here, just like I always did.

I didn't know what to think of him.

"Please welcome Kyle Foust." Our headmaster said.  Everyone clapped, but it was a much duller clapping than how they clapped for the freshmen.

After the new kid, Kyle, lined up just as the freshmen did, a couple of juniors and a senior came out an lined up in the same way.

I wasn't listening to what their names were, though, I was too busy staring at Kyle.

Something about him was so out of the ordinary.  And not because he wasn't rich, but something completely different.  In the way he walked and held himself, I could tell, for one thing, he was definitely not a Lockwood Academy sort of person.

But I let that idea slide, because everyone in my class was already heading out of the auditorium.  I quickly followed them, trying not to be as awkward and rushed as I actually was.

After that followed a ten-minute explanation of what will happen throughout the first week of school.  As Mr. Sullivan read off a seemingly endless list of activities and the things you have to do this week, Kyle slipped into class.  I don't think anyone noticed, because my classmates were taking notes and listening intently on the things they had to do.  I only noticed Kyle because my parents (who were both legacies of this school) told me exactly what to do, and I didn't have to listen to this explanation.  I was simply staring at the door, when he walked in and sat into his seat.  I had never seen anyone that moves so quietly.