02 || Colours

Rated Everyone 

Summary:

          Clementine's name is that of a colour, yet she couldn't see it. 

° ° °

When I was younger, Mum used to say that colour is a luxury of the rich. But I didn't get it. We had food on our plates, roof above our heads, and clothes on our body. We had no problem with our daily lives, yet I never understood why it seemed like every kid was richer than me. I vaguely knew I saw colours, but suddenly I couldn't. I grew up accepting these facts and realizations.

          After graduating college, my mother insisted that I take a job at the nearby café. Perhaps she felt lonely because my father wasn't with us. Permanently. The day God took him away in that car accident I was also involved in was the day I lost my colours. I could hardly remember what happened, but I knew something changed, even as a child.

          "Last order of one Mocha Latte to go, Clementine." Riley said after I heard the cash register rang.

          "Coming right up," I replied. In one swift movement, I created the order and placed it on the tray in front of me. It helped that I remembered where everything was. After the bell at the door resounded in the café, I was able to relax my tensed muscles. The place was quiet, except for the soft ambient classical music playing. The air felt cooler without the presence of the customers.

          "You're really getting the hang of this," Riley ruffled my hair. I responded my holding my head, and grinning.

          "Really?" I asked in anticipation.

          "Really!" I heard Dan answer in Riley's stead. His voice indicated he wasn't behind the counter, but inside the kitchen. I could tell he poked his head out of the kitchen pass-through.

          "Shut up Dan," Riley huffed in an irritated tone. She shifted towards Dan's direction.

         "With that, I'm taking Clementine to a date." I could practically see Dan grinning.

        "Pay no attention to this dork." Riley grumbled to me, then she shouted to Dan, "Hurry and finish up cleaning, will you?"

         I laughed at their bantering. Since my first day of work at the café, Riley and Dan had a close relationship. They may tease and irritate each other, but I could tell they were good friends. Both welcomed me warmly when I started. I really appreciated their kindness and all their help to make my coping up easier.

          "I'm sorry I can't go with you today, I have to meet with William." She held my shoulder apologetically.

          "It's fine," I tried to hold her hand and placed it in front of me. "I'll be fine. Besides, I can go home on my own." I could feel that Riley was still unsettled, so I squeezed her hand for assurance.

          "I'm done," Dan suddenly butted in.

          "You take her home," Riley said as I feel her turn towards Dan.

          "William?" He asked me and I nodded while grinning.

          "Say please first." He teased.

          "Please?" She gritted her teeth.

          "That's not how you ask for a favor." He cleared his throat.