Chapter 10

I can't breathe. I can't see. My mind is blurry and my whole body is shaking, but I climb out of the hospital bed, ignoring all the pain on my left side. I hear Matthew telling me to go lie back down, but his voice is muffled. I can't even concentrate on my footsteps. I stumble out of the room as Matthew runs off to get a nurse. I remember the nurses talking about where Luke's room is and stumble in.

I immediately fall to my knees as I see what state he is in. His left leg is broken, and there are bruises all over his body. His eyes are closed, and the heart monitor is slowly beating. It's barely there. I cover my mouth with my hand as I start crying uncontrollably. How could this happen? Why did this have to happen to him?

I slowly make my way over to his unconscious body and take his right hand in both if mine. I kiss every single spot on it and look up to where his bright blue eyes would usually be staring right back into mine, and he would have that arrogant but beautiful smirk plastered on his face.

I hear the footsteps running down the hall, no doubt on their way to get me. I kiss his hand one last time and whisper, "I really do like you Luke. They says people can hear you when they're in comas. And I hope you can because I-I think I might love you. I know you'll come back to me."

And as I'm being dragged away by nurses and being chastised by Matthew, I only have one thought in my mind.

It should have been me.

.************.

They must give me medicine to knock me out. Or maybe I am just too exhausted by today's recent events because I fall asleep as soon as we reach my room.

When I wake up though, my room is dark, so I'm guessing it is night. No one is in here, so I get up and peek out the door. Only a few nurses are walking around, so I quietly walk out of the room and carefully shut my door to where it makes no noise.

I quietly make my way to Luke's room and carefully open the door. He's exactly the same as last time I was in here. Silent tears run down my face as I walk over to his bed. I kneel down beside him and take his hand in mine again. I kiss it and tell him I love him, hoping he can hear me, but after that I just sit down, taking in his appearance. The funniest part is that his hair is untouched. I smile as I reach up and run my hands through his hair.

He would've probably said something sarcastic like "No touching the merchandise," but now he can only lie on the hospital bed in pain. I sigh as I realize I've only known this boy for hardly a week yet he's already impacted my life. I can't believe it was only a few days ago when I met him at that party.

I don't want to sit there and just stare at him forever, so I begin to speak. "Do you remember when we first met, Luke? That weirdo almost raped me. Ugh. Nasty. Wait." Then it hits me. "It was Jason," I practically whisper. I look around as if he were to be hiding somewhere in the room. I shake my head and tell myself I'm just being paranoid. I continue to remind Luke of how we met, even though I'm sure he remembers.

Once I'm finished I decide it's best if I go back to my room before they catch me and start keeping me locked in there. But on my way back I think about Jason again and realize Luke can't protect me anymore.