“Yeah, whatever. You’re not so bad either.”

“Well I’ll take that then.”

Niall smiled and I couldn’t help but smile back. Every one of his smiles just made me feel a bit better inside. I didn’t know, nor did I expect life to turn out like this, but I’m glad it did. I wanted to spend a lifetime with him by my side. With everything we had been through, I think anything is possible for us. I mean, Niall was finally accepting himself, and he wasn’t ashamed of us or who he was.

“Alright babe, I’m going to start running okay?” I said as we came around the corner.

“Of course. I’ll be walking with Loki here,” Niall said as Loki panted in excitement. I smiled and placed a tender kiss on my boyfriend’s lips.

“I’ll see you guys soon,” I said as I turned and hit the pavement running. I heard Loki’s barks behind me, but I didn’t pay too much attention to them. I was getting in the zone.

This was the time of day where I had my mind completely cleared of all my problems, fears, and regrets. All the negativity just seemed to flow out of me and the y rushed behind me. They sometimes tried to match my speed, but they couldn’t. I was too fast for them.

I love to run because I am the one who is in complete control. No one is here to tell me what to do or how to do it. It is just me and my feet. We go and run as much as we can until it’s time to turn around. I felt invincible, until I almost ran into a familiar, unwanted figure.

I skidded to a stop as recognition dawned upon me who it was. He looked at me with a smile, which to most would’ve been familiarized with sincerity, but all I saw was a liar. A shadow of a man who had lost all respect from me and my family.

“Good morning Mr. Horan,” I said bitterly.

“Ah, Liam is it?” He said with the smile still plastered on his ugly mug. I nodded tersely, not wanting to speak much to him. “How are you today?”

“Fine, thanks.”

“I’m happy to hear that. And how is my boy?”

“Niall? Better that you’re not around,” I hissed out. Hate began to fill my heart, but Mr. Horan was oblivious to my emotions towards him.

“Good. So, you two still together?”

“If we are, so what? You shouldn’t care.”

“Just asking my boy. He is my son.”

“You sure don’t treat him like one,” I said before turning to walk the other way.

“I’ve come to apologize Liam!” He shouted behind me. I paused for a moment. I couldn’t believe he was actually standing here ready to apologize. That seemed too easy. Last month he called the cops on my family, and now he thinks he can just apologize?

“Tell it to someone who cares,” I said as I ran off the way I came. I kept running, but my run seemed harder this time. Thoughts of Mr. Horan trying to ease his way back into Niall’s life scared me. He wanted to take Niall away from me, I was sure of it. He wanted nothing to do with the Niall I know. He wanted to ‘cure’ Niall of his ‘disease’. What he doesn’t understand is that there is nothing wrong with Niall. He’s fine the way he is.

I continued to feel my feet pounding against the pavement. I began to think, what if they got to Niall before I could. I pushed myself a bit more, to make sure I would get to Niall before his family could. I wouldn’t forgive myself if they took him away. I know that Niall is their son, but he obviously doesn’t see a home with them anymore.