Chapter 23 - Father

A/N: Okay, before you read this chapter, WARNING! This chapter will put a little twist on the story, which I hope all of you like! Thanks for reading! Comment & Vote

Nightfall had came once again. Rick decided it was best we get some rest before we go on any farther.

I sat by the small fire next to Michonne and Carl. She was sharpening her katana while Carl sat staring at the fire. Rick was adjusting his belt that held his gun.

"How long do you plan to stay here?" Michonne asked glancing up at Rick from her blade.

He looked around the forest that caped us, "Maybe a day or two. I know we're close. A few more miles and we will be there."

I watched him walk past us.  "I'm gonna go check the snares." Carl looked up at him.

"Can I come?" He asked with a hopeful look.  "How else do you expect to learn." Rick smiled down at his son.

"All of you." He finished. I raised an eyebrow before Carl helped me up from the forest floor. I brushed myself off and placed my gun in it's holster.

"Let's go!" I whined nudging Michonne with my metal foot. She still sat on the ground.

"Okay! Okay!" She laughed.

****

"I wonder what it will be like?" I pondered to myself as I walked beside Carl. Rick and Michonne just ahead of us.

"What do you expect?" He asked looking around for walkers, not really paying me any attention.

"Well, I don't know. Something like we had at the prison." I told him and he quickly turned to face me.

"We will never find a place like what we had there." His voice was stern and I crossed my arms.

"You don't know that!" I argued back at him.

"How much you wanna bet, I do?" He smirked at me.

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed his sheriffs hat and placed it on my head.  "Alright Grimes."

The moan from a walker brought our conversation to a halt. We all withdrew our weapons and headed for the on coming walker, who Rick took down successfully. And just like that we were on our way.

****

I stood laying against a tree in front of Michonne as we watched Rick explain the trap he had set out earlier. Carl squatted next to him and listened Carefully to every word his father said.

I sighed again for the millionth time in my life. I missed my father. He used to throw me up in the air and spin me around until I couldn't walk straight. There was o doubt about it, I was a daddy's girl.

"What you thinking about?" Michonne asked just as Rick had gathered the rabbit that was caught in the trap and came walking over to us.

"My dad." I replied. Rick must have heard me because he placed a hand on my shoulder then hugged me.  I rejoiced in the embrace of his arms. He was the only father figure I had left. He let me go with a smile and led us on.

"Wanna talk about it?" She asked as she walked next to me.

"Not really." I told her and she nodded in an understanding way.

"You know, He thinks of you as his daughter too." She spoke after a period of silence.

I watched Rick walk ahead. She was right. He was always there when I needed him. My Father. But then again, Daryl used to fill that role. And all I can do is pray he's alright.