Chapter 17: Bowling Sucks

Alicia’s P.O.V

It was a nice April day, and Liz and I decided to go on a double date. Her and Jack have been spending a lot of time together, but it wasn’t serious yet. She has been here for about a week now and I tried to push them together every chance I got, so I hadn’t really spent any time with her. I’ve never been bowling, so I wanted to try that out. We were so excited! Liz and I met Gilinsky and Shawn in the lobby.

“Hey Liz,” Gilinsky greeted as he opened his arms to Liz. He grabbed her in for a bear hug.

I silently cheered her on, and she shooed me away witht he hand that was on his back. I immediately went next to Shawn and kissed him.

“Hey babe,” Shawn greeted, and put his arm around my shoulder, “Have you guys figured out where we’re going?”

“Yeah, let’s go bowling!” I said enthusiastically. Shawn laughed and threw the keys at Jack. I made my way to the back seat next to Shawn, and Liz sat in the passenger seat next to Jack. Liz turned on the radio to some pop station that played songs we all knew the lyrics to. Shawn, Jack,and I began singing and belted out every note. Sometimes there were notes that only I could hit and Jack and Shawn couldn’t, so it was pretty funny.

“Liz, why aren’t you singing?” I asked, “ You love this song!”

“Are you kidding me? I’m in a car full of singers, and I can’t sing for shit.” She laughed. Jack gazed at her, and his smile grew wider as he watched her laugh. I noticed Jack move his eyes to look at her hands. She sat with her hands together like a student. He only had one hand on the wheel, so he was probably trying to find some way to hold her hand. Liz is so oblivious.

Shawn’s hand rested on my thigh, so I grabbed his hand and held it in mine. Shawn doesn’t really grab my hand anymore because he knows I get insecure about my sweat issue. He looked up at me and was beaming. He held our hands up, and kissed the back of mine. I leaned my head into his shoulder, as we both stared outside the window.

We finally arrived at the bowling alley, and rented our shoes. Shawn and I walked off to the benches. I looked down at my shoes, and back at Shawn. He smiled, kneeled, and put my shoes on for me. He knew me too well. Shawn tied my shoes the way they teach us in kindergarten, with the two bunnies. While still on his knee, he looked up at me and smiled. I swear, he had a smile that could cure cancer. I looked off to the corner, and saw Jack doing the same thing for Liz. She was wearing a skirt, so she couldn’t really bend down. We met up at the alley, and decided to split into two teams. Shawn and I, and Liz and Jack.

I had never bowled before, so Shawn had to teach me. I wanted to win and so did Liz, so we were determined to try to beat each other. Our past games of Wii tennis had made us extremely competitive, especially with each other.

“Okay, so you put these three fingers in the hole,” He demonstrated then he stood behind me with his hand on my lower back, and his other on my arm, “Then swing your arm back, and let go.”

Shawn let go of me in mid swing, which surprised me. I turned around and saw Shawn’s gaze at someone else. Gilinsky’s eyes followed his, and his eyes had widened. Why was Julie here? She was with some guy, it must be her new boy toy. It looks like Liz figured out who she was just by my glare. The only person who knew about that meeting between Julie and I was Liz. Shawn was still staring at her. Julie turned around and finally noticed us. A smile erupted from her face, and she ran towards Shawn and hugged him.

“Shawn! It’s been forever! How are you?” She kept her hand on his shoulder. I felt extremely uncomfortable, so I walked up next to Shawn and grabbed his hand. His fingers naturally went in mine, but he didn’t look at me.