Chapter 4: Wild Goose Chase

Alicia’s P.O.V

Lucky I’m in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been what I have been

Lucky to be comin home again

Well I think you can guess which duet we’ve been practicing. It was Shawn’s idea to sing Lucky. I think it compliments both our voices well. We had been practicing for about a couple hours. Who knew performing could be so tiring? I thought we were only going to be singing, but we also have to put on a show. What I mean by that is, we have to look interested in each other, and we have to look all cutesy, so that it fits with the mood of the song. It also makes the audience more emotional and feel more attached to the performance. While we were singing, Shawn motioned himself closer to me.The entire time we sang we just looked at each other. I would wink at him, and he would smirk at me. If nobody knew us, and saw us sing this duet, they’d think we were a couple. To be completely honest, I did not mind. We finally got to the last lyric.

Ooh ooh ooh

Ooh ooh ooh, ooh

Ooh ooh ooh,ooh

“That was great guys! Let’s take five.” Bart yelped. I completely forgot that he was in the room. I have to say, Shawn and I had great chemistry. Even though we’ve only known each other a couple of weeks, it felt like we were meant to be duet partners. We also had really good chemistry vocally. Our voices meshed well together and no one was overshadowed. We could easily become a duo.

“Hey Bart, it’s been a couple of hours, and it’s pretty late. Can we call it a night?” Shawn proposed. Bart agreed, but expected us to practice more tomorrow. We were going to have to wake up at the crack of dawn. Why didn’t the other guys have to practice this much? It wasn’t like we had a whole setlist. We only sing one song! I had been singing so much, that I hadn’t noticed that I skipped dinner. My stomach growled loudly, and I held my stomach and looked around to make sure no one heard it.

“Hey Ali! Wanna go out?” He whispered low enough that only I could hear. It was hard to respond without blushing when his face was only inches away from my face.

“Where?” I asked quietly. He smirked and took my hand and dragged me out of the hotel.  Our faces had to be kept hidden under our hats. It wasn’t like we were celebrities, but we still had fans all over the country. It was just best to play it safe. The streets were dark, all the shops were closed, and only a couple of street lights were on. We had already left Oregon, and we stopped at a hotel in Northern California. I had no idea where we were, but apparently Shawn did. I’m pretty sure he’s from Canada. Why did I trust him so easily?

“Where are you taking me?!” I demanded.

“You’ll see!” He snickered, “It’s a surprise.”

The walk was very peaceful. We talked about our future. Shawn wanted to become a famous singer. He assumed that I also wanted to be a famous singer, but when I told him I wanted to be a dentist, he seemed disappointed.  After about 15 minutes, I saw the golden arches. Shawn looked at them as if it were the gate to heaven.

“McDonalds? That’s the big surprise?” I bellowed. I walked for almost 20 minutes in the dark in an unknown town just to go to McDonalds?

“Yeah! I saw it on the bus while we were on the road. I was craving a big mac, and I heard your stomach” He stated excitedly. I guess I was pretty hungry. That was sweet of him to be thinking about me.I ordered a 10 piece chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce and a bottle of water, and he ordered a big mac with a large coke. I offered to pay, but he pulled out his wallet before I could object. We sat ourselves at a booth next to the window.

“Do you do this often?” I asked after I swallowed my food. Shawn didn’t seem like the player type, but he could have easily been one. Especially with his voice, hair, eyes, body, and and basically his entire being.

“Eat Mcdonalds?” Shawn said, while chewing at the same time? He was a fast eater. My chicken nuggets were down to 7, and he had already finished 75% of his burger. “Why yes I do. It is my favorite fast food place.”

“No, not that. Do you normally take girls out to eat in the middle of the night?” I regretted what I said right after I said it. Why do I always have to stick my damn foot in my mouth. He slowly continued chewing his food, swallowed,and wiped his mouth. He leaned forward a little, and began observing my face with a questioning look.

“Why? Are you jealous?”He smirked, sat back down, and I shook my head and blushed. Why would he think I was jealous? There was no reason to be jealous. We weren’t together.

“I’m not…I mean I wasn’t-” I was interrupted by a scream that came from a group of girls. I looked up and they were wearing Magcon t-shirts, which only meant one thing. We were caught.

“Oh shit!” I guess Shawn saw the same thing I did because,in a blink of an eye he grabbed my hand and we booked it out of that restaurant. We ran and didn’t look back.  I wasn’t even sure if they were following us.I don’t exactly remember where we were, or where exactly we were running to. I remembered a couple lefts, and rights, and I’m not exactly keen on navigation. We finally stopped and made it to an alley. The girls were out of sight. My lungs were worn out. We were completely breathless, and Shawn still hadn’t let go of my hand.

“Shawn,” I exhaled.

“Yeah?”

“You’re still holding my hand.”

“Oh, right” and he let go. My hand got cold, but I couldn’t ask him to hold it again, when I had already told him to let go. We walked back to the hotel in silence. The place we were walking at had a lot of trees, and it smelled nice. I smiled the entire walk, enjoying the fresh air. We finally made it to the hotel, and we smiled at each other.

“Sorry for the wild goose chase,” He shrugged and scratched the back of his head. He looked like he had something else to say.

“ I had a great-” Why do I feel like I’m always getting interrupted. This is getting annoying. His phone went off, and he looked at the screen. His face fell. I was pretty disappointed too.

“Sorry…I have to take this,” He said quietly. He went out to talk on the phone. I walked towards the elevator, but every couple of seconds I’d look back and see Shawn on the phone outside. Who was he talking to? Was it the same person he was talking to when we first met?

_________________________________________________________

Author's Note: BTW, if it's bolded and italicized then they're singing.