Twenty-Five

PLEASE READ THE A/N AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER!!!!!

-

p r e v i o u s l y :

"I need you too!" I nothing short of yell as I walk into John's room not a minute later.

He was pacing, as I had presumed. His hair was disheveled, his dress shirt partially unbuttoned halfway down his chest, untied neck tie in his hands.

His pacing brings himself over to me. "If I was sane and calm right now, I wouldn't have the guts to do this." John then flips the tie so it's around my neck and smoothly closes the door while pushing me up against it. And finally, in one glorious moment that feels like it lasts a lifetime, his lips press against mine, exploding every single firework ever made and then some.

"I need you."

-

Alex's POV:

The kiss was different from the one we had before. Probably because he was drunk before and I took advantage of that... Whatever. It was.

I had three letters shoved into my pocket that were very likely crumpled and my hair was a mess as was my tux, but I had never been happier than I was in that moment. Instead of me kissing the living (and dead) daylights out of him, he did that to me, but I was still completely and utterly happy. 

After the kiss went on for a few seconds John pulled away and fixed my tie back into its correct place. He then smoothed his hair, took a breath, and said, "shit."

"Shit what? Shit, we just kissed while we were both conscious and sober or shit, we have to go to the wedding you forgot about somehow?"

"Um, both really," he said, rushing around his dorm room once again. I was still balanced up against the door, breathless and watching him.

I figured we were just going to ignore the kiss that had just happened and focus on the shit, wedding part instead, so I brush myself off and head to the small mirror he had by the door. I decided that I should try to be funny rather than stress him out even more, so I said, "do I look okay? I'm trying to play the part of supportive friend who is here as a plus-one but still wants to have a good time while simultaneously having a great fashion sense."

John snorted slightly but it was more of a polite, I-see-what-you're-doing-and-I-appreciate-it-but-it's-not-working snort than a I-really-think-you're-funny snort. 

"It's definitely working," John said without looking at me. I wasn't offended or anything, though. "Okay, so we should leave here in like three minutes so that we can get there by morning."

I realized that I had never asked who exactly was getting married nor where it was, so I did then.

"Oh, it's my uncle to this girl, I don't even remember her name. I'll update you on everything in the car, let's head out. Do you have your phone and, like, clothes? Shit, did I not tell you to bring stuff?"

He hadn't, but I didn't really want to stress him out, so without saying anything I ran to his room and grabbed some things that looked to be slightly larger than things he'd wear and shoved them into a plastic bag.

"I have clothes. Let's go!" I offered him my arm, feeling oddly confident today.

John laughed, a real laugh this time, and grabbed his phone, wallet, and a small duffel bag that looked like it was about to burst at the seams, and then looped his arm through mine.

"I'm borrowing my friend's car, so that means I have to drive all night, which means you have to be up to keep me awake. Sorry." He told me as we walked down the stairs. Then he added after a moment of silence, "Sorry about all of this, really."