The Football Prodigy

WEDNESDAY 10:45

Sam looked up and saw Bradley standing there, smiling at him.

"H-Hi." Sam replied a bit awkwardly.

"I'm Brad. It's short for Bradley." he extended his hand, Sam shook it reluctantly.

"Yeah, I know. We have Bio together." he said.

"Oh, yeah.." he figured.

"I'm Sam." he said curtly. "Sam..." Bradley repeated the name to himself. " Is that short for Samuel?"

"No, it's not short for anything. Just Sam." he made it clear.

"Just Sam then... Nice to meet you, Just Sam." Bradley grinned and sat on the bench. Sam shuffled uncomfortably. For a while they just sat watching how their classmates turned the dressing room into a mess.

"Is it always like this?" Bradley asked, referring to the ongoing water fight.

"Last year used to be pretty calm." Sam figured. " I honestly don't know what hit these boys during the summer."

"Puberty." Bradley said. Sam chuckled.

"Yeah, maybe you're right."

"One thing is for sure though... Our teacher will have a fit once he sees the place." Bradley said and that was actually not far from the truth once Mr. Sheridan set foot into the dressing room. Not only did he spend an incredible amount of time reprimanding the perpetrators, he also made sure Damien and his accomplices got detention which shamelessly made Sam smile with delight. Once Sheridan was done with his long monologue, he accompanied the group of second and third years on to the football pitch.

"Now, boys, I know you all can't wait to start playing but before we get going I want to remind you all that try-outs for the school football team will be held at the end of this month. If you think you're talented enough to join my team, you're welcome to try out. But please, take these try-outs seriously. Don't come messing around or you'll be faced with detention." he looked at Damien, who shrugged innocently.

"Any questions?" The group remained silent.

"Good. Here's the ball. Play fair and square. I don't want any sprained ankles at the end of this match."

The group of 31 boys got divided into two teams with 22 players and 9 substitutes. Sam and Bradley played on opposite teams.

Once Sheridan whistled, Harrison played a quick pass to Lewis. Lewis pressed on and passed to Sam who then passed to Lucas. Lucas made a dashing run down the left flank with a good cross into the six yard box. Tyron and Sam both ran toward the box but Tyron was faster. He jumped, redirecting the ball toward the top right corner of the net but missed badly. After the initial attack Sam's team retracted, letting the goalkeeper perform the freekick.

Bradley received the ball perfectly and passed to Matt who passsed it back and made a fast run into the box. Bradley assisted him perfectly but Matt's shot on the goal was saved by the goalkeeper, who then threw the ball toward Harrison but Bradley intercepted the pass, catching the goalkeeper and the entire defence off guard. Sam tried to take the ball away from him but Bradley was too quick for him. Once Bradley got the ball he sprinted toward the goal like his life depended on it, eventually he got rid of Sam breathing down his neck. He dribbled past a few players on the way, nutmegging them like they were five-year olds. Harrison dived into a tackle but Bradley saw it coming and avoided contact. He then completely threw the last defender off balance and finally found himself in a one-on-one situation against the goalkeeper. He took a shot, aiming for the bottom right corner and the ball wound up in the back of the net. The team cheered and high-fived Bradley.

But that was not the only good run Bradley made during the match. It was a bit hard for Sam not to get jealous every time Bradley brilliantly slipped past the defence and whizzed right past him on his way toward the goal. Trying to catch Bradley was like trying to catch smoke with bare hands. He outshone everyone on that pitch and he seemed to have fun doing it too.

Once Sheridan whistled for the match to end, the boys headed toward the dressing room. On his way downstairs Sam saw Sheridan pull Bradley aside to talk. When Bradley showed up in the dressing room afterwards, Sam plucked up the courage to ask the question that had been on his mind.

"So, what was that talk with Sheridan about?"

"Oh, nothing much." Bradley shrugged. "He complimented my style of play and said that I should try out for his team."

Sam closed his locker door and looked at Bradley with a stunned expression.

"What?" Bradley asked, confused. Sam raised his brows.

"First day at school and you already almost made it into the school team? Most guys in here would love to have that talent of yours. Once you make it into the school team you'll be popular with the girls, that's for sure."

"Nothing' s for sure yet, I don't know if I'll get in."

"Oh, come on. If Sheridan personally approached you and asked you to try out, it means he thinks you're the real deal. You have talent, Brad. And Sheridan recognizes potential when he sees one." Sam patted him on the shoulder on his way out of the dressing room.