The Vote

When I wake up, Charity is groaning from her mat besides me. Hope has already risen and has her hand across Charity's forehead. Tress is examining the rod, brushing off flecks of dust.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Worse. Apparently a whole day of rest wasn't enough. But don't worry, I'm sure I'll be back on my feet soon." She replies.

I drag myself to my feet and look over the waking Aerie.

"Today is the day of the vote." Tress says, not taking her eyes off the rod.

"What vote?" Charity rises up onto her elbows, grimaces, and then lowers herself back down.

The vote to see if the Griffin Riders will help her. Did you find anything in the library last night?" Hope asks.

Tress shakes her head, "All I have is Unice's story and the record of a library in the same region being attacked."

"But that should be enough, right?" Hope says, "An attack and a disappearance in the same area sounds like something."

"What are you trying to prove?" Charity groans.

"Oh, that's right. No one told you." Hope says and then explains everything having to do with Irudipen.

"Is that what you meant when you said you would tell me more about why you came to Nakhot?" She asks.

Tress quickly nods and her trunk twitches.

"But that doesn't have anything to do with Nakhot."

"I also said that I did not understand everything."

Charity groans again and rolls over on her mat. I turn to Tress, "What are you going to do?"

She looks back down at the rod and runs her thumb over one of the black swirls. "Ask them to believe me. That's all I can do."

Her eyes shimmer like the surface of a well as she looks at the rod. She holds it gently and runs her trunk over the surface. Then she hooks the rod into her belt and rises to her feet. She walks over to the ladder and begins to climb down. At the last moment, she stops and asks, "Would you like to have breakfast?"

"I would love some breakfast." Charity says.

Hope replies, "Do you want us to send Unice wi—"

"No. Why would you think that?"

Hope shakes her head, "Okay. I'll bring something up."

We go down to the dining pit we ate breakfast at yesterday, stopping to grab bowls from the kitchen before finding Isaac, Darius, and Korban sitting in the same place. Korban looks up from his food to ask me, "You ready for the vote?"

"I'm not speaking; Tress is."

When Korban turns to look at her, Tress stiffens and nods. Korban leans over and whispers, "I hope you win."

"This isn't a joke, Korban." Isaac snaps.

"I didn't say it was!"

"This isn't one of your campfire stories. She's asking us to die for her. Are you ready to do that?"

"Isaac. That's enough." Darius says. Korban has gone back to staring at his breakfast with a broken gaze.

Darius continues, "Why don't you go see how you're mother is doing?"

Isaac leaves and Darius puts his hand on Korban's shoulder, "Hey. You okay?"

Korban glances at me and mutters, "I'm fine."