Faith and the Meeting with Isra

I walk down the stone roadways, only a step or two behind Tress as she marches towards the common area at the bottom of the cavern. Tress throws a glance my way and says, "Not staying with your sisters?"

"Hope can take care of Charity just fine. Besides, I'm hungry."

There are people milling about the plaza we entered through last night. Many of them are wearing the same black armor that Korban and the others were wearing, but there are many more who are wearing what I imagine to be regular clothing here. The pits in the ground are filled with both types of people, eating around sand-blasted tables. As I pass one of them, Korban catches my eye and waves me over.

"Tress." I call and a moment later, we're sitting around the table with Korban and two other men. Both wear the same armor that Korban does, though the oldest has a bow strapped to his back. The three all have the same hair color and, judging by their appearance, Korban is the youngest.

"Good morning. How was the first night in the Aerie?" Korban asks.

"It was really different to sleep under the stars."

"It's quite a sight, isn't it?" The man sitting next to him says with a shining grin and an outstretched hand.

"I'm Isaac, Korban's older brother."

I shake his hand. "Nice to meet you." I nod toward the oldest man, "Is that your father?"

"Yes I am. You must be one of the girls that Korban brought in last night. You are very brave and strong for having come here."

"Well, we couldn't have done it without Tress."

Tress nods her head and the men look up at her.

"We've never had a zho in the riders before." Isaac says.

"I will not be riding any of your griffins." Tress curtly replies.

Isaac raises his hands, "That's fine. Most people here don't ride them anyway. But do you have any plans now that you're here?"

"Yes. I plan on talking to your chief, Isra, I believe her name was."

"Isra is my wife." Korban's father says, "If you're looking for her, she's usually in the keep. But she should be here to eat breakfast soon."

"Speaking of breakfast, would you two like some? How rude of us for not asking earlier." Isaac says.

"Yes, thank you." I respond while Tress just inclines her head.

As Isaac gets up to leave, Korban clenches his fist on the table.

Isaac returns several moments later laden down with several plates of food and leading a familiar figure back to the table: Isra. She looks exactly the same as last night, but is now carrying a small bowl. When Isaac reaches us, he places two identical bowls in front of us, filled with hot grain sprinkled with spices, and then sits down next to Isra as she slides into place next to Korban's father.

"Good morning." She intones with a glance that doesn't last more for a second. For the next few minutes, I eat the hot porridge while the silence grows cold. To me, the food is delicious, much better than anything I've had in the past few years.

I look over at Korban and while he is interested in his own food, he seems more interested in observing the scene.

Finally, Isra puts her spoon back on the table so that it is pointing straight across the surface and asks, "So, what are your plans now that you have arrived?"

Icily, Tress responds, "My plans are to make a request."

"Oh? What kind of request?"

Tress's trunk rolls up as she glances around, "I would prefer to ask in private."