The Aerie

I turn back to the chaos on the mountaintop and scan the rocks for Faith and Hope. The shade circles Tress as she tries to land a hit. As it swings out over the desert sand, I dash around the corner and call, "Faith! Hope!"

From a small rock crevice comes Faith's cry, "We're over here!"

They extricate themselves from the rock just as I reach them.

"Is it gone?" Hope asks.

Behind us, there's a loud boom as a bolt of orange light shatters a mound of rock.

"Does that answer your question?" I reply.

"Then what are we going to do? It's not as if we can hurt it. You're the only one with a knife." Faith cries.

"We're focusing on getting to Tress now. Okay? Then we can worry about what comes next."

I grab their arms and pull them towards where I saw Tress last. Our makeshift shoes crunch into the snow and pound into rock. I sweep the air, looking for our attacker. The night sky obscures the shade's form until it dips closer to the mountain. It shrieks and we drop to the ground to cover our ears. Claws formed of wind grab at my dress and try to lift me into the air. Then the force disappears as another bolt flies over my head.

Tress is beside us before I can scramble to my feet. She quickly raises her rod and the shield surrounds us. Faith and Hope rise and gather around me and Tress. Outside, the shade slams itself up against the force field again and again, but the shield only ripples.

My heart pounds as I watch the force field, wondering if it will hold. I have one arm around my sisters, but the other is clutching the knife in my pocket. It might not do any good against it, but the feel of the handle in my hand gives me the illusion of control.

"How long will it hold?" Faith shouts.

Tress doesn't answer and when I look up, her probing gaze is fixed on the shade.

Hope is trembling in my arms. Her eyes are tightly shut and her grip on my arm is like slaver's cords.

"Hope. Hope, it's okay. We're safe for right now."

"It's just like the nightmares."

"Except that it can't hurt you." I pull her closer to me, "It can't get through the shield."

I throw a warning gaze at Faith and she nods.

The shade stops pounding on the shield, choosing to glare at us instead. It's purple eyes burn like minuscule bonfires as it stares at Tress and her rod. While we watch, the cloud of darkness begins to dissipate little by little until only the eyes are left. A moment later, they wink out of sight, replaced with the stars instead.

"Is it gone?" Faith asks.

"We can't be sure." Tress says, "It may be waiting for us to let down our guard."

"So what now?" I ask.

"We will wait until the Griffin Riders return."

"Then it will attack them."

Tress's trunk curls up and she surveys the area. She glances down at me and then taps the top of her head with her trunk.

"What?"

"Listen closely. It isn't safe for me to let down the shield so long as we do not know if it is here. So you and you're sisters will help me hold the shield until our friends come."

"And then?" Faith asks.

"Then I will take my best shot at it."

I go to one side of Tress and prop her arm up. Then I stand, watching for the shade's violet eyes.