Chapter 9

At 6 AM, contrary to Talen's beliefs, I heard his alarm go off. I just wasn't planning to wake up. I felt Talen disentangle his arm from around my waist (my mind hazy, I didn't wonder how it had gotten there). He walked to the bathroom and I heard the shower turn on.  And then I promptly fell back asleep.

"Get up, sweetheart." Using his rather brute force, Talen turned me over so I was lying chest up. I sighed heavily and squinted to peer up at him. He was already dressed, in a black button down shirt and slacks.

I can't lie, he looked damn good. Instead of expressing that thought, I groaned and attempted to turn back over. He quickly stopped me, sitting me up on the bed. I glared at him.

"'Atta girl," he quipped jovially, seeming to enjoy my misery. I simply glared at him in distaste. If he thinks my mood has improved from last night, he's got another thing coming.

Once he saw that I wasn't going to lie back down, he moved to the foot of the bed and proudly held up a black dress that was in my suitcase.

"I picked out some clothes for you, Rita," he announced, grinning. A little annoyed at his uncharacteristic cuteness, I snorted, replying, "Did you want me look two?" Which was a truth and a lie, really. The dress was a little juvenile in shape, but I fill it out. 

His expression changed to one of confusion. "No..?" he stared at the dress thoughtfully.

I resisted the urge to rest my chin on my hands and stare at his cuteness. Who looks this good, this early in the morning?

I shook myself out of that daze. "Ok, Talen, I'll go get ready," I conceded, rising up and stretching beside the bed. I took the dress from his hands and turned to head to the bathroom but he pulled me back into his chest.

"How did you sleep?" he questioned, burrowing his face into the side of my neck. I just looked at him.

This man's mood swings are ridiculous. This is definitely not the same Talen from last night, and I'm not going to get used to him because I'm sure I'll be faced with yet another version of Talen in front of his pack.

"Miserably," I replied, even though the bed was exceedingly comfortable and I slept like a baby.

He sighed and dropped a kiss on my neck.

"About what I said last night..." he began and seemed to be thinking about what to say next. " I didn't mean to be harsh, but I don't really know any other way to be," he said.

" I've moved on from that, we've got a whole day to get through," I said, disentangling myself from his arms. I meant the whole moving on thing...kinda.

"You're a terrible liar, but okay," he said, finally letting me go after kissing my cheek.

As I showered I thought about the fact that Talen is extremely comfortable touching me, but there's awkwardness between us when it comes to talking. Which is not really a surprise, considering the fact that we don't really know each other.

I wet my hair in the shower because Talen did not own a shower cap. I swear that was the only reason. I promise that I didn't think about the fact that Talen might not consider my natural hair very presentable.

It immediately curled up, not to my natural texture (it would take a few more washes to reach that level of nappiness), but enough to make me smile when I looked in the mirror. I never saw myself as one of those intentionally defiant women, but here I am. Maybe this will be my one act of rebellion for the day. Loljkjkjk.

I tamed the curls up into a high ponytail and after slipping into the dress, I completed my look with eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss.

I've never been one to warm up to people very quickly, and I hope Talen- Oh we'll warm up to him just fine, a voice suddenly interrupted my train of thought. 

I looked around the bathroom. There's obviously no one else in here.

... Okay. I tried to remain cool about this, while a million questions ran through my brain. The voice was obviously female, but its' tone was more wise and confident than I have ever been.

I am your wolf, Rita. We are literally one and the same, calm down.

I sucked in a breath and then nodded my head as if she was standing before me. I questioned warily, am I going to be able to shift again?

In due time, she responded somewhat gravely. With that I felt her retreat. I calmed my breathing and left the bathroom before I could fully process what had just transpired.

"Yes mother, we are on the way. I'm sure Rita will be willing to help you with whatever you need," Talen was talking on the phone when I emerged. 

His eyes scanned my entire body, and I was surprised not to see any disapproval in his eyes. He beckoned me towards him and as I neared, he ran his hand down the curve of my hip. After he hung up with his mom and attempted to cover my cleavage. 

"Uh..." I pulled his hands away from my chest, uncomfortable. He growled a little bit and seeing that his tugging wasn't making a difference a muscle began ticking in his jaw. He stared for a little, until I crossed my arms over my chest. 

"What? Too slutty?" I questioned, halfway joking, half ready to defend myself. He rolled his eyes. "Just distracting, Rita," he muttered. 

"Let's go," he said, after scowling down at my chest for a moment longer.

The ride to the pack house was surprisingly quiet. I tried to control my anxiety because every time my foot began tapping nervously, Talen glared at me.

When I tired of the silence, I cleared my throat and told him about what happened earlier. "When I was in the bathroom earlier my wolf spoke to me," I started hesitantly, baiting his reaction.

He stared at me for a moment. "...nd?" he pressed, his expression unreadable.

I shrugged. "I mean, she didn't say much."

"Did she assure you that she won't kill you next time she takes control? Because I won't allow you to shift until we're sure of that. And just to be clear, that might never happen," he said, effectively sobering any little bit of enthusiasm I previously had.

He makes sense. But he and his dad are certainly on different pages about this shifting situation. While his dad has complete faith that things will work out, Talen seems to have accepted that they might not ever.

And how do I feel? All I can say is that I'm obviously not ready to die.

The car came to a stop and Talen straightened his clothes.

I can see a pattern developing here. Talen seems to enjoy putting me through an emotional blender right before I have to talk to people.

I felt my anxiety rise again as I noticed the crowd of people gathered outside of the pack house.

Did Talen turn to comfort me in my evident distress?

No. My lovely mate simply muttered a "behave" as he helped me out of the car.

Let the masquerade begin.

---------------------------------

next chapter things will actually happen? idk