Chapter 2

School went by quickly. As usual, I was the perfect student, taking notes and participating in class. But that is mainly because I have no one to talk to. I'm a little nervous for tonight. It's nice that Liz will be there, but if there's any alcohol involved I know from experience that she and Josh will be cuddled up in a corner together an hour into the party. Isolating the world. Must be nice.

 We're best friends, but since they met we have inevitably grown a little distant from each other.

 I headed out the school doors as soon as class ended.

 ¨Hey!! Rita! Slow down!¨ I heard a saccharine voice call from behind me. Selena Delphine, the Alpha's daughter. I turned and smiled at her awkwardly. ¨Hey.¨

 She full out beamed at me with her blindingly white teeth.

 ¨I just wanted to ask if you were planning to come to the party tonight. Usually it's required to be there, but you don't have to come if you don't want to today,¨ she said in her sweetest voice.

  I stared at her for a moment. ¨So what you are saying is, you don't want me to come.¨

 Her smile faltered and she put a hand on my shoulder.

 ¨Listen it's nothing against you, it's more against your condition. It's a weakness in the pack, and we're trying to impress Alpha Theo tonight.¨

I laughed bitterly. ¨The only reason you guys are making such a big deal about this is that your dad is hoping you are the mate of one of Alpha Theo's sons.¨

 She didn't deny it. I climbed on top of my bike, ready to leave.

 ¨If you know what's best for your pack, you won't come tonight,¨ she shouted, as I pedaled out of the parking lot.

 People are great. I guess I can understand what she was saying, but it still hurts. I belong here, I was born into this pack. If I don't belong here, I don't belong anywhere.

 As soon as I entered the house, I sat down in front of the TV with a bag of chips and watched the Kardashians. That's where I was, three hours later when Liz showed up.  

¨RITAAA!! Are you ready to parta-¨ She stopped and took in my current state. ¨What the hell are you doing?¨ she questioned.

 ¨Uh...not going to the party. Selena said that Alpha really doesn't want me to come. I'm an embarassment...or something,¨ I mumbled, avoiding her intense gaze.

 She stared at me for a moment. ¨And you listened to that bitch WHY?¨ she screeched.

 ¨Because she's the Alpha's daughter...¨¨I don't care who the frick she is! I'm not a werewolf , but I know you're a part of this pack, and you're going to this party!¨ She bellowed, grabbing me by the shoulders. ¨Do your parents know that you're just sitting here, wasting away?¨

 ¨No, they've been gone all day helping set up the pack house,¨ I replied reluctantly. If my mom knew about this whole situation, she probably be upset and not even attend the party herself.

 Liz put her hands on her hips and sighed. ¨Get upstairs, put on the black dress with the slit. Moisturize, get flawless. I'll do your makeup when you get down here.¨

 ¨Liz...¨ I grumbled uncertainly. ¨GO!¨ she shouted.

 I shuffled upstairs and to the bathroom. I looked over my reflection. Last year I highlighted my hair dark purple. My mom thought it would clash with my dark skin, but it didn't and I love it.

 After taking a quick shower, I blow dried my hair and put on the black leather dress. The slit is almost scandalous, but if I get in trouble for anything tonight, it won't be my dress.

 ¨Rita! Josh is coming to get us in 10 minutes!¨

 ¨Ok, ok, I'm coming!¨

 When Liz was done with me, I looked ethereal. I'm not kidding, I looked amazing, 10x better than I look on a daily basis. My skin was literally glowing.

 ¨You look great. Let's go, Josh is outside,¨ she practically dragged me out to his car.

 ¨Oh look, you guys are FINALLY ready. Did you know that I've been waiting out here for 30 minutes, and the party started an hour ago...¨ he ranted as I hopped into the back seat.

 ¨I love you, ¨ Liz said, planting a kiss on his cheek. He rolled his eyes, ¨Yeah, yeah.¨

 I frowned at their exchange. Some things I will never understand.

 I third wheeled all the way to the pack house. Liz and Josh dueted to the radio, laughed at their little inside jokes. It was disgusting. It didn't help that as we pulled up to the pack house, i started to feel an overwhelming amount of anxiety. My heart started to beat ridiculously fast. ¨Guys, I think I'm having a heart attack,¨ I screeched.

 Liz laughed. ¨Come on, girl,¨ She yanked me out of the car and I almost fell. I started to feel really hot. Oh gosh. I felt my head for drops of sweat but thankfully I was still dry. I'm not sweating, yet.

 My mind was absolutely scrambled, I was in a daze. We walked into the house, and if possible my anxiety only heightened. There was teenagers everywhere down on this floor, and I tried to put on my best smile. The adults and our 'special guests' were upstairs. For some reason, I felt like I needed to be up there too. By now Liz had let go of my arm and was lost in the crowd.

 I NEEDED to go upstairs, with or without her. I tried to calm myself, but it was not working. I ascended slowly, step by step, heart pounding.

  I searched the room desperately when I reached the top of the stairs.

 I spotted my mom across the room and ran to her. ¨Mom...I don't know what's happening,¨ I said. My entire body was aching at this point.  She looked me over frantically, her forehead creasing. ¨You're burning up!¨ she cried, touching my head.¨We need to find your dad!¨  

 Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head. ¨Mom... I can't...¨ I groaned.

 A low and powerful snarl abruptly silenced the room.

 ¨What the fuck is that smell?¨ I heard a voice roar. A young man was tearing through the crowd.

 When we made eye contact, he growled and I screamed, collapsing to my knees.