"At least until we stop him or Lauren decides to change," Normani inserted.

"I don't want to change." Lauren said, shaking her head, "I don't want to be a vampire."

Dinah and Normani turned to look at Lauren in shock.

"Why?"

"I just want a normal life," Lauren whispered. "I just want to grow old with the love of my life. I don't want to live forever."

"That's why you always evaded the question," Camila said, a small frown on her face.

Lauren looked at her own hands. "It sounded like fun when I was a child, but seeing you, having to wait until dark to feed, to move from place to place when your ages were becoming noticeable. Things seem hard, having to make up stories all the time. I don't want to be living a lie."

Dinah looked heartbroken. "We'll have to watch you-"

"I won't make you. You won't have to see me when I get older."

Normani shook her head. "You're our little girl. No matter how old you get, we'll always want you in our lives."

"Even if I'm in my death bed as an old lady?"

"I'll hurt, but I'd want to be there, with you," Dinah whispered, pulling her close.

Camila clenched her teeth, as she stared at the ground.

"Camz?"

Camila's head shot up. "Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

Camila let out a small laugh. "Yeah, I'm just shocked you don't want to be a cool vampire. But I get it, Shawn didn't want to be one either."

Dinah and Normani exchanged a look. Dinah stood up, Lauren in her arms. "Let's get you to bed, Mani will refill your prescription."

Lauren nodded her head, as she placed her head on Dinah's shoulder.

Normani turned to Camila. "Are you really okay?"

The older vampire shrugged. "I'm used to it, not having anyone. We just have to protect her, make sure she makes it that far."

"Are you going to tell her?"

"About what?"

"Being your mate."

Camila let out a sigh. "She doesn't need to know. She doesn't need to be something she doesn't want to be because of me." She looked around. "I have to go, warn the others."

"I'm sorry," Normani whispered.

Camila looked at Normani with sad eyes. "It's okay. We just have to keep her safe."

-

"Camila isn't here today, so she asked me to sit with you," Hailee said, smiling at Lauren.

"I don't need a babysitter," Lauren muttered, glaring at the table.

Hailee let out a laugh. "I know. But Mila would kill me if something happened. I thought it would be a good time for us to get to know each other. And I know you like hearing our stories."

Lauren turned to look at Hailee. "How old are you?"

"I was seventeen when I died. I'm fifty one."

"How?"

Hailee looked at the table.

"It was 1979. It was hot."

Hailee felt the sun against her skin. She had a smile on her face. She could hear laughing around her. She looked around as the parents and kids had fun.

And I Have Felt the Pain of Losing Who You Areजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें