Chapter 2

Vivian stepped out into the wintery air of blair city.

The streets that were once sleek new tarmac were now grayed by the bleaching of the sun. The road was a monochrome patchwork, each one lined with a shiny border of tar. Despite these fixes, there were still cracks and the potholes grew larger with each passing winter. But it wasn't like the people who lived here could afford cars anyway. The trees that were once fine saplings with soft spring foliage were gnarled and embittered, growing tall but without strength, competing unnaturally against the towering apartment blocks they were planted too close to. Their bark was messy from the perennial dampness and incessant rain, except a few weeks of reprieve in the summer months. The sidewalk, for the most part, was still smooth concrete but was covered with trash and dark coal stains from trash fires, and a great spot to get robbed or hurt. Tram wires strung from sea-green posts dangle at a two-story height, beyond the daily regard of the pedestrians who walk, heads down, to their destinations. Familiars stood at every corner watching the people like hawks. Familiars were essentially the police force of Blair. They were there to enforce laws the president had assigned them too and inflict punishment, if need be. So if you even looked suspicious you could be locked up and executed the next day without even a trial.

Raphael Azzari was the Leader of the Familiars, of which were officially called the Department of Enforcing Law and Suspicious Activity. It was a hefty name, which was why it was also known as DELSA for short. Azzari was also the president's right hand. Vivian considered Raphael too young for the position he held seeing as he was 21. Only 4 years older than her, but the high court and Familiars respect him for his brutal ways. He has made it his mission to rid the world of evil and freedom fighters, particularly the Omen.

Which planted a deep seed of hate for him in Vivian's mind. Vivian was in the center of the city and had to walk quickly past the masses of people. She took a look at the capitol of course. What was left of it, anyways. It had burned down when she was five, killing everyone inside. It saddened Vivian when she saw it but she believed it was important not forget. As she ventured deeper into the streets of Blair, the wanted posters and Familiars grew more frequent and her speed increased. She didn't want to be seen as more than a shadow. She soon stumbled into the market, her nose curling up as the stench of slaughter and rotten produce. It was the best her people could afford.

She walked down the street before she quickly ducked into her favorite store in the market. It looked like a shack with a hand painted sign that freaked on its hinges. It wasn't appealing from the front. But once one stepped inside, you were greeted by the most enthusiastic baker with a smile as warm as his loaves. Each one was lovingly handmade in an old style; heavy, dense, hearty and nutritious. The Baker would pick the wheat from far away fields, or so Vivian was told. It smelled so good in there that Vivian wanted to bottle the scent and take it home, but at least she got to take the bread with her; wrapped in parchment paper and cradled in her arm. A short interaction between her and the baker, and a fresh baguette was buried in the crook of her arm. Her mother would definitely be pleased.

Vivian took the long way home since she had time before she needs to get back. She walked to the outskirts of the city and the countryside stretched before her like a great quilt of golden, brown and green squares held together by the thick green stitching of the hedgerows. It rose and fell like giant waves on a gentle ocean and was dotted with towering abodes where the rich lived. Today the light was oddly bright for such a chilly morning and Vivian bathed in the rays of the sun. It was calming.

What could go wrong today?

After her brief pause, Vivian started down the path to her neighborhood, sucking in the air as if nothing had ever been so sweet. But she ended the action as her nose wrinkled at the smell of smoke. Vivian glanced upward, her mouth puckered in confusion. In the distance, she could see thick columns of gray smoke billowing into the skies. The once pale blue hue was now contaminated with a veil of darkness as the smoke swallowed the whole sky. The fierce fire could be seen sneaking its way out from the rows of trees.