28. Home not so sweet home

Start from the beginning

"Have you?"

"Fine! I don't know! But you better do something quick! She's dying!"

"She is not. Now move!" He waved me away. "She needs space."

I reluctantly stepped back.

"More!"

Scowling, I created ample distance between us.

He crouched down next to his sister. "Sammy," He started.

My jaw dropped. His voice was firm as always, but a kindness that he reserved only for her marked his words. The ice in his voice had thawed slightly. I had heard that tone before when he spoke to Samantha, but it never ceased to appall me. Who knew a slab of granite in human form had the capacity to feel fondness?

Why doesn't he treat me that way too?

I almost slapped myself at that thought. I was his employee! It was a strictly professional relationship between us. I definitely didn't want any mushy gushy treatment from him!

Indeed?

I knocked my palm against my forehead. An Ambrose sounding voice in my head was a sure sign of madness.

Samantha continued rocking and quaking. She didn't show any sign of registering Mr Ambrose's words.

"Sammy." He repeated, firmer this time. I half expected him to grab her shoulders and tell her to stop wasting precious time, but he didn't make a move to touch her.

She let out a whimper of acknowledgement.

"What do you need?"

She couldn't seem to reply between her gasps.

"Nod your head for yes, shake for no. Do you want a hug?"

She nodded without hesitation.

My eyes almost popped out of my head. Was this seriously the same Mr Ambrose who told me that he didn't cuddle?

He inched close to her and tentatively wrapped his long arms around her, not daring to hug too tightly. She buried her head in his shoulder, her emanciated form trembling.

"It's going to be ok Sammy."

I looked over at Karim who managed to look as shocked as I was with a jungle-like beard masking half of his face. Our stone-cold employer was crouching next to his sister while hugging and whispering words of comfort to her. I had to blink a few more times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. It was as surreal as Patsy falling in love with a man.

"Do you need water?"

She nodded infinitesimally. Somehow, he managed to catch her movement.

"Let's go inside. There's water at home." A wave of bitterness washed over his tone at the word 'home'. He wasn't the only one who had an adverse reaction to that word. Samantha's response was more dramatic as she shook her head violently and beat her fist against his chest.

Why did he want to bring her 'home' if they hated it with such a passion? It was a question I had a feeling would be answered soon enough.

I made myself comfortable next to a bush that didn't have too many stray sticks jutting out. This was going to take a while.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You should eat, my dear." Mrs John -- the woman whom I remembered was accidentally called 'Nanny' by Mr Ambrose -- coaxed Samantha. "You're so thin! You must be hungry."

She looked genuinely worried at Samanth's absolute disinterest in the food. Samantha picked at the stewed potatoes on her plate, eyes glassy and eyebrows drawn taut.