22. Then

guys thank you so much for reading :) please tell you friendssssss :) 

            I looked down at my feet as Niall and I walked through an abandoned village together. We were sent to patrol the area and kill anyone who seemed to be a potential threat. Well, that’s not what we were ordered to do, but it was slightly implied.

            “How did you propose to Jemma?” Niall asked, breaking the silence. It was strange being so quiet when I was with him since he was always talking.

            “I just asked her in my car before I left,” I answered as my gun hit my back with each step I took.

            “I miss my family so much,” Niall said, shaking his head and looking up at the expansive bright blue sky. “And that one call a month thing isn’t enough…”

            “I know… I miss Jemma…”

            “Is she younger than you?”

            “Yeah, two years younger…”

            “Ah… my fiancé is three…”

            We came across what looked like a small house built of slabs of cement. There was a slightly open door and Niall and I approached it, pressing our backs to the cement on either side of the door before Niall kicked it open. We held our guns in front of us as we stepped through, slowly and cautiously. It seemed to only be a couple rooms. Niall pointed to the left where there was another door and we did the same procedure as before and kicked it open.

            It was a bedroom.

            And there was something in the bed.

            I glanced over at Niall who held his gun in front of him the same way I did. We slowly approached it and I could feel my heart nearly beating out of my chest. The back was to us and Niall cocked his head to the left as he made a wide circle to the other side of the bed where the front of the person was. At least I thought it was a person.

            Niall’s eyes widened as he stepped in front of the thing in bed. He used the end of his gun to move the thing on its back. A puff of dust rose up into the air as it landed on its back.

            It was a person.

            And its face was gouged out.

            “Jesus,” Niall breathed, walking around the bed again while I turned and walked right back out of the room. “Holy fuck.”

            I felt sick to my stomach but I didn’t say anything about it. The place smelled like death. Niall offered to check the rest of the building to make sure there wasn’t anything left. There wasn’t, so the two of us moved on.

            We started back on the dirt path again. All of a sudden a bomb went off on the side of the road a couple hundred meters behind us. We spun around and held our guns in front of us, waiting for the smoke to clear. There was nothing there.

            “Be careful, mate, there might be some old bombs in the ground,” Niall said as we continued walking.

            “Right,” I said, nodding my head and looking around us. Everything went quiet again. And that always scared me.