"Alright!" a man to the side called out. "The people planning on staying, please gather your stuff and stand over here. Alex's team can stay with Nina. Could the people from Reynold's Stronghold please check in with Stephanie? She's over there."

The blonde-haired woman waved her arm in the air a few times so people knew who she was. She must have already figured out which ones she was supposed to be talking to since she headed toward them.

"I have to go get my stuff," Jess said, getting out of the side-by-side.

I trailed some distance behind her, leaving plenty of room between me and the strangers swarming the vehicles as they tried to find everything they had brought with them. Jess knew exactly where her stuff was and quickly claimed two duffle bags and a ragged cardboard box.

From how she struggled to move one of the duffle bags, I wondered if she had packed rocks all the way down from Alaska or something. Once she was clear of the crowd, I took the two duffle bags from her.

When I didn't react to the weight and carried them with ease, she stared at me. Shaking her head, she quickly caught up. "Thanks."

"No problem." I carried them over to the man and stood to the side where no one would likely crowd me. Jess stood beside me, placing the box by her feet while waiting. The man quickly put two and two together.

He walked over. "This is your sister?"

"Yes, her name is Jess."

He nodded and glanced at her, probably trying to commit her face to memory. "Welcome, Jess." He turned his attention back to me. "I know they planned to put the newcomers in the main building, but since she's your sister, they're willing to let her stay in the secondary building if you prefer."

"She can have the room two doors down from mine."

He thought for a moment. "Isn't that Nicky's room?"

"The other side. It's an empty room."

"Ah, that makes more sense. Not many people on that level, so I forget who's where some days. Sure, she can have that one."

And Nicky just so happened to be memorable enough that he knew where her room was. Surprise, surprise...

He glanced at the group forming around us and added, "I'll just go over the usual rules with everyone, then I'll show the others where their rooms are, and you can give her a quick tour of the secondary building. We're going to let them unpack and get settled until lunch, then we'll regroup for a tour."

I nodded as I examined the eleven people forming a semi-circle in front of us. The group was a pretty mixed bag of ages, with the youngest being about two or three, holding her mother's hand as she stared around with big eyes. The eldest was adorned with solid grey hair and used a cane, although she was spry enough that the trip hadn't worn her down much.

The man addressed them, "As you just heard, I'm going to show you where your rooms are so you can get settled. After lunch, we'll go for a tour. You have a lot of flexibility in deciding what work you want to do, so think about what you're good at, and after the tour, I'll talk with each of you to see where your strengths lie. Feel free to try a few different tasks. You aren't stuck there if you hate it. Now for the rules. You've probably heard this spiel at every place you stopped, but I'm going to give it to you again."

He continued rattling off the rules, and I tuned him out when he came to the part about using manners and being courteous to each other.

"-and that's about it. Any questions at the moment?"

No one spoke up, so he said, "Okay. The main building is this way."

He headed toward to a nearby door. Tilting my head at Jess, I jerked my chin in the direction of the secondary building.