| Chapter 12 |

"Make a wish." He handed her a silver coin.

"I wish," she whispered slowly pondering her next words, "I wish you were better."

The glinting coin dropped rippling the water. The father- riddled with disease and bound to a wheelchair- with his younger daughter in tow, left the fountain. They went back to the castle where he remained bedridden for years. He was then restricted from seeing his daughter. The doctor knew time wasn't on his side and it would be his downfall. He thought barely seeing her father would lighten the loss.

Yet the girl got to see him once every three months.

This was a day she always looked forward to, a day much like this one.

"Dad...?" Callie creaked open the door to spot a pale man. He lay in bed under a comforter and surrounded by dozens of pillows.

She stepped in sealing the door behind herself. The room was still. Dust floated through the warm air. The curtains reduced the sunlight leaving it stale in the room. Though, a gentle lamp assisted in glowing the it yellow.

Seeing his eyes closed and his chest rise and fall with a rhythmic flow, Callie stepped to the window. Outside a hued sky awaited her.

She sighed. "Arthur..."

Although he messed up fairly bad, she still missed and thought of him constantly. As if ever since he was gone things weren't the same. He made her happy, and made her laugh. Arthur had become a secret part of her that almost no one knew of. Well no one knew the extent anyway.

A space of silence left her words. Before a gruff voice interrupted. "Callie?"

She perked to his voice. "Dad! You're awake!" She rushed to his bedside hugging him.

"My dear daughter, I've awaited your arrival for what feels like so long."

"It's really nice to you again!" She released him.

"And you also. I heard your birthday the other day was a happy success?"

"You mustn't have heard about the whole thing?"

"I did. Still angry with your mother?"

"Yes! I mean, not to be disrespectful or anything, but it's messed up! Couldn't you've done anything?"

"Not a thing at all. I was just falling ill at the time. I did try to persuade her otherwise after, but she claimed you would fall in love before and it wouldn't matter. And I see you have."

"What? No, I haven't. The wedding is still on for next month."

"Then you do not love this Arthur fellow? Your mother insisted you had. And she's never wrong– well, that's what she tells me."

"I just... he stood me up."

"And you stood him up, right? A few months ago. Wasn't he your second suitor?"

"He was..."

"Why did you stand him up?"

"I... uh... I heard of all his charms and thought he would be a stuck up jerk with no soul. Yet instead he was a really nice guy, who turns out to be more than just an extremely smart, talented wizard guy that fights well. Sure, Dad, he is all those things but he's way more than that. He's also a pun master, and a cute, awkward bean that likes green tea and coffee shop dates."

"Then what's wrong?"

"Well, he stood me up."

"Callie, you can't hold that over his head for forever. Your mother told me he practically had a snake on his back while doing it."

"Stephanie?"

"Was that his ex's name?"

"Yeah."

"Right. Still, you're marrying another man? Why?"

"I-" Callie was interrupted by his abrupt coughing.

The door quickly opened to a concerned, pudgy-faced nurse. "That's enough excitement for today. Princess, please leave." The nurse rushed to King Charles who continued to cough. "Doctor!"

"What's happening?" Callie called in.

"Please leave, Princess!" the nurse called sternly.

Passing the coughing fit he sat up, frail. "Since I got sick you've been afraid to get attached, because you don't want to feel worried for anyone else."

The nurse urged, "Sir, lay back down-"

"Don't be afraid anymore, Callie. Love is a beautiful risk to take. Stop fearing it."

The doctor brushed in passed Callie and urged her to leave. She squirmed from the doctor and locked onto her father's murky blue eyes one last time.

"I will." The doctor pulled, as gently as possible, at her arm. "I love you, Dad!"

As Callie was forced out, she faced nothing but the shut door and a sudden reality. The worsening cough from inside the room stopped. A sudden scramble began. Then silence.

                         «<•>»

"Charles George was a father, a husband, and an overall figure to many. The illness took a strong man too soon. Long live the king!"

As the clouds poured their sorrows upon the earth only two and an approaching one remained. As the queen left with a path of tears following, Callie crumbled to the earth where he lay far under. In front of her bouquets were placed before the stone grave.

The approaching one stood overhead with a black umbrella shielding the rain.

"Callie...?"

She turned and faced the voice. Rising slowly, Callie looked up at him. He looked so different, so tired and stone cold. Wrapping her muddy hands around him, she allowed the sudden warmth to surround her. He placed his chin lightly atop her head, and soothed her hysterical sobs.

Through the heavy pattering of the rain on the umbrella, she muttered a few, shaky words. "I barely know how, but I love you, Arthur."