| Chapter 11 |

"Streamers, hanging lanterns, sent invitations. Food? Do we have the food?" Maria scanned her clipboard again. "What time is it? Are guests arriving yet?"

"Maria, calm down. The cooks and pastry chefs are all working on it. They have been since last night." Queen Clairese clasped her hands together. "Ah, and there's Bee."

"Good, good. Beatrice, was there anyone else behind you?" Maria glanced around nervously.

"A few. But don't worry Callie's party doesn't start for another..." Bee checked her watch. "Another thirty minutes."

"See, Maria, guests are arriving, food is preparing, everything is in order," Clairese comforted.

"Need me to help with anything?" Bee asked.

Maria checked her list again and looked around the outdoor setting. "Put some streamers in the tree?"

"You got it." Bee walked away.

"Thank you, dear!" Maria called after her. "Clarie, are you not worried? Upset, scared? I mean, today is the day you've been dreading since she was born."

"For the past seventeen years I've cried, begged, and pleaded for that wretched man to let the deal drop. I've wanted nothing more than to see my daughter free of this unknown weight on her shoulders. But he is as stubborn at the day I broke the engagement."

"Clarie..."

"I was so ignorant. I knew him better than anyone did; I should've have seen it coming. He wouldn't just let it go that easily..." the queen sucked in an unsteady breath. "But a war? And blackmail? I knew he wasn't the man I thought he was, but I wasn't aware he was that wicked."

Maria linked arms with Clairese and offered a friendly smile. "C'mon, the party is starting. Let's be in good spirits for Callie. She deserves to enjoy it before we tell her."

The queen nodded and straightened up, putting on a smile for the guests.

                         «<•>»

"Okay," Callie sighed walking from her room. Although she knew about the party, Maria refused to let her see it. "I'll go down, mingle long enough for it to be counted as an appearance, then slip away."

I would at lease stay for cake. Cake is always worth the wait.

"Don't they know I hate my birthday? Why even spend time on a celebration? Ever since he fell ill..." She shook herself. "No, Callie, you've gotta be positive. Maria has put a lot of effort into this party."

Callie, mustering all her happiness into a simple smile, walked into the party area in the castle courtyard. There she found it crowded with familiar faces. All her friends waved and applauded as she entered. Among the happy faces of her peers, were distant relatives that she barely remembered the names of. But that's okay because they knew her, and were prepared to tell her how big she's gotten.

"Happy birthday!!" the whole crowd cheered releasing small explosions of confetti.

Callie grinned and marveled at the area; Maria had done a great job.

Mark was right she did have so many people that honestly cared for her. Maybe in her time of sadness she forgot that, but she was definitely reminded.

The night began as Callie was swept away into the festivities. Games, a preformed play, eating, dancing– ballroom; none of that booty-shaking trash– and more eating, of course.

Yet everything has to end at some point. But before it did– PRESENTS!

"Here open this," Bee shoved a brightly printed box in her direction.