| Chapter 9 |

"Morning rise, morning shine! Time is ticking away, my dear! The day is here, the day is here!" Maria sang entering her room. "Get up, get up!"

Callie rolled over with a grumble.

"Oh, c'mon! We have important advents today! People to see, things to say."

She burrowed under the comforters.

"Hm? Dear, didn't it go well?"

"It didn't."

"What did he do?"

"Nothing. That's the problem he did nothing at all. He didn't even bother to show up."

"O-oh, dear. I shouldn't have bothered you then. I was insensitive to make the assumption that it went well. I apologize."

"It's fine. Though, I didn't sleep much at all last night, and when I did it was disturbed." Callie yawned. "Maria, do I have to go anywhere today?"

"It's the weekend; you should be allowed to do whatever you please. Now, you best rest. Come down when you want some food."

"Thank you."

Maria walked around the room closing the curtains. Once the sun was completely cut from the room, she left with a slight smile. Maria shut the door quickly then began speeding further down the hallway. She stopped at a door towards the end.

"Clarie!" Maria rapped on the door a dozen times. "Clairese!"

"What is it?" Queen Clairese called back.

Maria barged through the door. Closing it behind her, she immediately began pacing around the room, grumbling.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

"Do I look alright?! Even in the slightest?"

"O-okay, calm down. Will you tell me what happened?"

"Boys happened! Clarie, call this off, call it all off! You can't put her through this!"

"You know I can't call it off. I've tried. Ever since I made the deal I've regretted it. Every second has been a living nightmare! Can't you see?! I've gone mad in my own home! All because of my selfish stupidity! I've ruined my child's life to save my own!"

"I'm sorry," Maria sighed. She slumped down on the small vanity sofa beside her friend. "What I said was out of rash."

"I understand. You've raised my daughter more than I have. You've given up almost seventeen years of your life to tend for her every need. And for that I'll be eternally grateful; but what's done is done. Still, you should have a say in what happens."

"We both should."

«<•>»

It was high noon when Callie lazily flopped from her bed. She left her room without a glance in the mirror. The heavy burden of sleep deprived sadness tugged down on her feet. She took small, weighted steps down the hallway. Light filtered in from the high windows above. Milky, silk curtains were the only substance separating the indoors from the harsh shine of the sky.

The moment felt surreal. Like, a horrible fairytale or a nightmare. Regardless of how it felt, it was still happening. He still stood her up, and she still had to deal with his rejection.

"Callie?" a familiar voice lingered behind her.

She spun around to face him. "Leo. Hi." A silence plagued the two until Callie forced words, although she already knew the answer. "How are you?"

"I am..." he sighed and walked passed her down the staircase.

"Leo, where are you going?"

"Somewhere that I feel appreciated."

"I have been rather rude..."

"What about dismissive and two faced? Oh, and can't forget your most endearing quality: wretchedly petty."

"Hey! I know haven't been kind or even pleasant in the past, but I'm not petty!"

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really! You know, I was going to apologize, but I see you don't deserve it! You're being utterly disrespectful, and you can't even respect how a lady feels!"

"You don't understand!" Leo yelled. He again sighed this time stopping, turning around, and facing her. "I respect how you feel, I do. And I apologize for how unfairly I've treated you. I shouldn't have over stayed my welcome, pestered you, or tried to force myself on you."

"Thank you. I appreciate your apology. But, tell me, why did you do it?"

"It's just... give it a week and all will be revealed."

"What's going to happen? Is it bad?"

"Just a week, can't you wait?"

"No. Tell me!"

"I can't. It's not my duty."

"Heh. You said duty..." Callie snorted.

"Still, so immature," Leo smiled fondly. "I best go, I just came here to pick up some things."

"Wait, Leo! I'm sorry. I really should've handled the situation better. I know how it feels to be left hanging like that... and it really hurts."

"Apology accepted." He studied her for a second before turning away. Tired eyes, messy hair. Had she just woken up? Plus, she seemed to stare down more than usual... almost sad. Either that or the princess was a sleep deprived, untidy, night owl that enjoyed studying the woodgrain of her castle floor.

"Callie, are you okay?"

"Hm? I'm fine, Leo."

"You look tired."

"Maybe that's just my face."

"You didn't brush your hair."

"Maybe I didn't feel like it."

"You're staring at one place for a while, with a downed expression."

"Maybe I'm daydreaming."

"Or maybe you're upset...?"

"Perhaps..."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I'd rather not think about it at all."

"As you wish, Princess."