Chapter 13

Paulette and Rhonda stood by the pinball machines in the Bowlarama trying to keep out of Johnny's way. Steph was a no show again and he was in a foul mood.

'He's really obsessed by that guy,' Paulette whispered referring to the mystery biker. 'He absolutely hates him.' Rhonda glanced over at Johnny.

'But why? He saved Davey.'

'I know but Johnny thinks he's invaded his turf so to speak.' Rhonda nodded, they both knew Johnny considered Steph to be part of his turf.

Rhonda lowered her voice. 'Do the rest of the t birds think the same?'

'Well they have to do what Johnny says,' Paulette said. 'We all do.'

Rhonda shook her head. 'I think Johnny's jealous. This guy rides better than him, and Steph is totally crushing on him...' Paulette was peeved, she didn't need reminding that Johnny still had feelings for Steph. Fortunately, their conversation was brought to a halt by Johnny calling them over.

'I've been thinking,' he said. 'We're going to have to do something about Steph.'

'What do you mean?' asked Paulette.

'She's damaging our reputation, I mean where is she tonight? Hanging out with her nerd friends?' Goose and Davey laughed but Paulette was confused.

'Who do you mean Johnny?'

'Well Shakespeare for one, I've seen her at rehearsals, and they're getting a bit too friendly for my liking.'

Paulette's heart sank, and she forced herself to smile. 'Michael's not so bad.'

'It's not just him though is it?' Johnny said ominously, and Paulette knew he was referring to the mystery biker. 'Since she doesn't want to hang out with us, maybe she should not hang out with us permanently.'

'Johnny that's not fair. Dimucci and Sharon aren't here tonight either.'

'It is Sharon's birthday,' Rhonda interjected.

'Yeah that's different,' Johnny said. 'And besides, they are not disrespecting the jacket.' Rhonda almost laughed but Paulette could see his point.

'So what, you're gonna throw her out the gang?' Goose asked. Johnny paused, adjusting his jacket collar.

'I'll deal with it.' They all exchanged glances; technically the t birds outranked the pink ladies so he could do it, however, Paulette wasn't convinced he'd follow through on his threat. 

                                                                              ~~~~~

Stephanie was working at her dad's service station on Saturday, she knew her friends all had plans with the t birds. She tried not to let it bother her but she sensed she was being excluded from the gang. Paulette was closer to Johnny now, and for all she didn't want him back she felt resentful that Paulette was blatantly taking her place. Sharon had made up with Louis, having completely let him off the hook, and both of them were pretending that nothing had ever happened.

Feeling angry Steph cleaned a car windscreen. It wasn't that she particularly minded helping her dad, he did pay her, but her friends had it easy in comparison. Paulette's dad gave her whatever she wanted, Sharon's mom had been left with a decent life insurance policy, and Rhonda's parents seemed to manage. She didn't think they really appreciated how she had to help her parents out.

She was lost in thought when a biker pulled up. It took her a moment to realise she was being stared at, and when she turned his way her heart almost jolted. It was that guy from the Bowlarama, the mystery guy. She smiled in recognition, then tried to rearrange her face, it wasn't like he knew her after all. She could hear a customer demanding her attention as the biker continued to watch her.