Chapter 10

"Are any of you guys going to the winter formal?" Paulette asked putting her tray down next to Johnny's at lunchtime. She gestured towards a poster on the wall promoting the event.

"You've gotta be kidding," Johnny said pulling a face and she tried to hide her disappointment.

"It might be fun," she said lightly. "And I'd love the chance to get properly dressed up."

Johnny looked at his fellow T birds to back him up but Goose and Louis appeared distracted.

"We're going," Sharon said butting in. "It's literally our last winter formal ever."

Johnny gawped at Dimucci. "Are you serious?" he asked and Louis shrugged in reply. "You had better not wear your jacket, I don't wanna be associated with this shit."

"Of course he's not going to wear his T bird jacket," Sharon said rolling her eyes. "It's a formal dance."

"I think we should go," Paulette said daring to assert herself. "Sharon's right, it might be lame but it's our last winter formal in high school."

"I'm confident I won't regret not going," Johnny said digging his heels in but Goose spoke up.

"Me and Rhonda are going," he said sheepishly. "It's not like we're doing anything else that night."

"See," Paulette said looking up a Johnny through her eyelashes. "I think you're being silly. It won't be lame if we're all there, we'll have a good time."

Johnny glowered at Goose. "I'll consider it."

Paulette's face broke into a smile. "Oh good, we're gonna have the best night." She knew she should wait for him to ask her but if she didn't take the initiative there was every chance he'd leave her hanging. Or worse, he'd ask Stephanie.

"I said I'll consider it," Johnny reiterated and she was glad he hadn't disputed that he'd take her if he did go. Slowly but surely she was winning him over.

"I've gotta get going," Sharon said standing up. "I need to talk to Miss Mason about more rehearsal time. Are you coming, Rhonda?"

Rhonda pulled a face but she stood up. "Do I have a choice?"

"Not really since you're the one who needs the extra rehearsals."

"Ouch!"

They said their goodbyes to Goose and Louis, leaving Paulette by herself with the T birds. A position she relished.

"What's with you guys?" Johnny said irritably. "Now I've gotta take Paulette to this dance. No offence honey."

"None was taken," she said her heart warming. He's talking like I'm his girlfriend! "But Goose and Louis are just being good boyfriends."

Louis smirked. "I'll never get to third base with Sharon if I won't even take her to some dumb dance."

Johnny looked placated. "That makes sense."

"Do not repeat that," Louis added catching Paulette's eye.

"Don't worry I won't," she said still simpering at Johnny. "I know how uptight Sharon can get."

Louis frowned, not liking the criticism of his girlfriend. "She's just got a lot going on, with the talent show and everything."

"I know." She gave him an indulgent look. "I'm one of her best friends and I think it's really sweet how you do stuff like this for her." She caught Johnny's eye hoping he'd pick up on her not so subtle hint. "It's so cool when a guy puts his girl first."

"Yeah, sure it is," Johnny said feigning indifference. "Nothing's cooler."

Goose started to laugh, making some comment under his breath to Louis but Paulette didn't care. Johnny was finally acting like she was his girlfriend and she couldn't wish for more than that.

~~~

The things I do for you Steph.

Johnny gave Stephanie a lingering look as he departed the stage, the T birds rehearsal now over. They weren't particularly harmonious - okay they weren't at all harmonious- but they had more charisma than the other male acts.

"We're gonna win those albums," said Goose grinning. "Don't forget I want the Roy Orbison's."

"You got them," Johnny said not caring as Paulette took her place on stage. He had to admit she was cute but it was a shame she tried so hard to make herself available to him. For all he wouldn't want her to be as difficult as Sharon, he wouldn't mind a bit of a challenge. If only she had Stephanie's effortless coolness, that would be so much more appealing.

"Cos I love, yes I love to be everything to you, just you," Paulette sang catching his eye as she strutted her stuff on stage.

Play hard to get, for once in your life, play hard to get.

He watched as Stephanie got into place, a surly look on her face. She was obviously no more interested in the talent show than he was, and that little bit of common ground gave him hope. They weren't so dissimilar despite her protestations.

"I'll warm you through December, and I'll always be around," Stephanie sang, her voice in tune with her backing singers, but lacking any emotion. He wasn't surprised, she hated this cheesy shit.

"Hey, well done," he said as she exited the stage and she gave him a puzzled look.

"You want something?" she almost snarled flicking her hair out of her face.

"Nah, I was just complimenting you on your performance, you sounded good." He turned away, not wanting a scene.

"Oh, right." She paused in front of him. "Thanks."

"No problem," he said thinking he shouldn't have approached her in front of everyone. That wasn't cool, even Shakesphere was watching him. Or watching Steph, he knew he had a thing for her. "Hey, guys!" He clicked his fingers at Dimucci and Davey who were stood at the back of the stage. "Get over here."

"What's up?" Louis asked as he beckoned Goose over.

"I've heard Balmudo is looking for a rumble," he said once they were all huddled together. "That's what the word on the street is."

"And that's a problem?" Louis asked raising his eyebrows.

"No, it's not a problem," he said swallowing down the nerves he didn't want to admit he had. "But we gotta be prepared."

"We can take on Crater Face any time, any place," Goose said in a show of bravado. "Bring it on."

"But we're outnumbered," Davey said not hiding his fear. "There's four of us and about twenty of them."

"I don't think there's that many," Johnny said. "Maybe twelve?"

"And we can handle them," Louis said sounding cocky.

Johnny held in a sigh. "We need to strategize. Davey's right, we are outnumbered even if they're outclassed." He adjusted his collar on his jacket, not wanting to show any sign of weakness. "We gotta plan carefully and wait for the right opportunity."

Goose and Louis exchanged looks, and he could see they were doubting him.

"Why don't we challenge Balmudo to one on one combat," Goose suggested. "Kinda like Danny Zuko did."

"Yeah, we could do that," Johnny said remembering the race at thunder road when he was just a kid. Something like that would be easier to win, the odds would be even, but would Balmudo go for it? Probably not when he could hammer them in a fistfight.

"What are you thinking?" Davey asked interrupting his thoughts.

"I'm thinking, I've got a lot of thinking to do," he said running his hand through his hair. "Don't stress it guys, I've got everything under control."

As if! I've got nothing under control and one day these shmucks are gonna catch me out but until then...it's all to play for.