Chapter 26

'Why don't you come to the Bowlarama?' Sharon asked Paulette, who was staring despondently at the TV. 'Everyone's gonna be there.'

'Johnny won't be, he's working, and I can do without all the questions.' 

'But only me and Steph know,' Sharon said forgetting about Louis. 

'I know but until I tell Johnny I don't feel like company.' Paulette fixed her eyes on the TV and Sharon sighed thinking at least she'd tried, she couldn't press gang her into going out. She heard Rhonda pull up and left Paulette to it.

                                                                                ~~~~

'How's Paulette?' Steph whispered to Sharon pulling her slightly to one side.

Sharon looked around cautiously before speaking. 'I don't think she's facing up to it. I told her to call Johnny but when she spoke to him she didn't tell him. She said she wants to do it in person.'

'I can't believe her mom's thrown her out.' Steph had been astounded when Paulette had told her. 

'Surely she'll calm down,' Sharon said her brows furrowing. 'Paulette can't stay with me forever, my mom will be home soon.'

Stephanie shrugged, she'd always liked Mrs Rebchuck but it was rather exceptional circumstances. Bad enough Paulette was pregnant but with Johnny as the father...no wonder, her mom had freaked.

'What's with the secret society?' Rhonda asked, her mouth puckering.

'Nothing,' Sharon said taking a step back from Steph so they were no longer huddled together. Rhonda frowned, turning her eyes onto Steph.

'I was just telling Sharon that Michael's not really happy about going to college here,' Steph said thinking that wasn't a lie at least. She glanced over at him but his back was turned as he got ready to bowl.

Rhonda followed her eyes. 'Why's that? I thought it was all sorted out?'

'Yeah it is but he's not keen on the local college,' Steph admitted letting out a sigh.

'Oh?' Sharon said sounding a little offended, and Steph remembered she was also going to the local college as she didn't want to move away.

'I think Mike feels that he's been pushed into a corner so he's all negative about it.' She couldn't help fearing that Michael would start to resent her. She got up to bowl, at first not spotting Dolores who was making her way determinedly towards them.

'Where's Paulette?' Dolores demanded.

'What's up?' Davey asked intercepting her.

Dolores spun around. 'What! You don't know?'

'Calm down,' Sharon said coming between them. 'Paulette's staying at my house.'

'And is Johnny with her?' Dolores asked as people began to listen in.

'He's working tonight,' Steph hissed trying to shush her up.

Dolores scowled. 'Right so what's gonna happen? Is he gonna marry Paulette now she's knocked up?'

Steph did not miss the intake of breaths around her. 'Keep your voice down.'

'Knocked up?' Goose laughed in disbelieve while Rhonda had a deep frown on her face.

'Yeah knocked up,' Dolores snarled at Goose.

'Well Johnny never said.' Goose turned towards Louis and Davey looking for confirmation.

'That's right,' Davey said shrugging. 'Johnny's not said a word.'

Rhonda pulled a face. 'You guys knew and you didn't tell me?' She looked accusingly at Steph and Sharon.