Winter Formal

Sharon smiled as Louis held the door of his dad's car open for her. She swung her legs out, smoothing down her dress, before slipping her hand into his. She had to admit he was making an effort, he was even wearing a suit despite a token protest.

"I told Rhonda we'd meet them inside," she said. "They're going to wait for us by the drinks table."

"You mean the juice table," Louis said pulling a face.

"So you've not brought something along to liven things up?" she asked raising her eyebrows.

Louis patted his jacket. "I might have."

"I know you have so quit whining." She gave him an indulgent smile as he pulled her closer, at least she hadn't had to beg him to take her. Thank god Johnny Nogerelli wasn't her boyfriend.

They stepped into the hall, fighting through the balloons and streamers in the doorway.

"Someone got carried away," she said as they made a beeline towards the drinks stand.

"Hey," Rhonda said waving them over, her hand getting lost in the long sleeves of her dress. "You look amazing."

"You too!"

"The guys don't scrub up so badly either," Rhonda said gesturing to Goose and Louis. "Have you seen Stephanie or Paulette?"

Sharon shook her head. "We've just arrived. I daresay Johnny and Paulette will want to make an entrance but I don't know if Steph's even coming."

"Yeah, I wondered about that," Rhonda said as Goose exaggeratedly yawned beside her. "Oh be quiet you! We're just talking as concerned friends."

Goose and Louis guffawed and Sharon gave them an impatient look. "Stop it, we're allowed to express ourselves."

"I wish you would express yourself," Louis said giving her a pointed stare which she chose to ignore.

"Oh, there they are," Rhonda exclaimed gesturing towards Paulette and Johnny who were hovering in the doorway. "But what is she wearing?"

Sharon scrutinised Paulette; her tight strappy red dress was both overdressed and underdressed all at the same time. It was like she'd got ready to attend a different event entirely. "Her dress could do with being a bit longer, or maybe less showy around her boobs or something."

Goose spluttered. "Hey, it's classy for a street corner."

"Goose!" Rhonda gasped faux outraged.

He shrugged. "I'm just saying what we're all thinking."

Sharon silently nodded, for once not adding her opinion. "Anyone want a drink?" She grabbed four plastic cups and partly filled them with juice, leaving Louis to top them up.

Goose grinned. "Glad I'm not the only one who came prepared."

Sharon gave him a tight smile, not wanting to remember the time her drinks had been spiked. But this didn't count, she knew what she was well aware of what she was consuming. She grabbed her drink and took Louis's hand. "Let's dance."

Louis knocked his drink back. "I can't dance and drink at the same time."

"It's a slow number, I'm sure you could manage it."

"Not if I'm holding onto to you," he said smirking at her as they made their way onto the dance floor. "You know, I've been thinking about what we were talking about. About signing up?"

"Can we not talk about that tonight," she said tightly.

"I'm surprised you're against the idea. I thought you'd be impressed."