{5} A Date's Preparations

Start from the beginning

“You two,” Maka sighed. “Eevee, don't get pulled in with all of these dopes. Curran's already with them and we need a sane person to balance us meisters.”

Eevee nodded. “Yes, because we all know that Kid has his head on straight.”

“Were you trying to spill your guts to him,” Soul was grinning again, but also seemed to be winking at her. “That is one hell of a literal way of spilling your guts to the guy you're going on a date with.”

Somehow Eevee had managed to take off her shoe without Maka or Soul knowing and had hit Soul across the face with it before putting it back on her foot. Maka sighed once more and she had a feeling that she would be doing that all day. She just hoped Black Star didn't come barging in and make things far worse than they were already.

“So,” she said in a soft voice in case she stepped on a land mine. “Eevee, what are you going to wear for the date.”

“He's not back,” answered Eevee and she walked out the door of the clinic. “Why prepare for something that isn't going to happen. Dr. Stein was my second path to take when it came to the date, but I blew that chance when I didn't get dissected.”

“Does that mean you were gonna date Stein instead of Kid?” Soul asked her loving the fact that he was getting under her skin.

“No, stupid. I meant that he was going to be my excuse.” Maka stepped in between the both of them before they decided to solve the problem with a fight.

It's not like it hadn't happen before. When they first met something along these same lines happened and a fight almost broke out. Of course Soul had been going after Curran at the time, but was shocked to find out that Eevee could stand her own without him. Soul couldn't land a hit on Eevee because she was too fast, but it wasn't like Eevee did any damage to him as her hits were nothing compared to the resistance of this scythe blade.

“Soul's being an idiot, Maka.”

“Eevee just doesn't want to hear the truth. How does it feel to be the girlfriend of the son of the founder of the academy? You're so sly, Eevee, to hook up with Kid to get the best missions and to get excused from classes.”

“You see that shoe on your foot? Well, it's about to be shoved down your throat.”

Maka groaned at their bickering. Sure these two got along well enough to have a decent conversation, but their attitude with each other would change just as fast as those conversations they had and into something more chaotic. Of course most of what came out of their mouths was nothing but mere jokes, Maka still felt uncomfortable being in the middle of all of this.

There was a point, when they first met and Soul seemed to be interested in Eevee, that Maka actually believed she was not going to be Soul's partner. Compared to Eevee, Maka was simply a bookworm and useless when it came to fighting without Soul. Eevee at least could hold her own in a fight without Curran, and she was smart for someone who didn't like studying. Maybe she didn't match Maka's or Ox's scores, but she was still a smart student.