36. Vampires and Threats

Start from the beginning

  "You saw the book?" I jump in, my body igniting at the mention of it.

  "Yea, you will never believe it," Zeke exclaims, his eyes getting wide as his excitement shines through, "it wasn't empty at all! It has-"

  "I know," I cut in, not able to sit and listen to him explain what I have already seen.

  "But how?" Zeke questions with a raise of his brow, leaning back now that I cut off his excitement.

  "I saw it," I answer quietly with a shrug, "while everything was going down."

  "But," Zeke starts again, growing silent when I shake my head with a sigh.

  This is harder than I thought, why can't I find the words for what I'm trying to say?

  "I didn't physically see it," I try to explain, heat rising in my cheeks as I realize how ridiculous that sounds. "When one of them touched me, I was able to see things."

  "A zombie touched you?" Zeke exclaims in horror as his entire body cringes.

  "Saw things like what? A vision?" Stefan asks, focusing on the important details.

  "Yea, I guess," I whisper, feeling stupid and unsure of how to explain it.

  "You're a witch?" Damon asks quietly, but his words feel accusing.

  "No," I shake my head vehemently, memories of Damon cursing witches flashing across my mind. "Not exactly, at least."

  "That's so cool! Show us some magic," Zeke demands, his excitement coming back in full force.

  "This isn't a game," Damon scolds, but his eyes never leave me. I can feel them, like a heat searing into my very being.

  "It's not like that," I glance to Zeke before once again averting my eyes, fidgeting as my nerves get the best of me. "It's more like..."

  I hesitate as a familiar throb bursts in the back of my mind. It pulses through me, throwing me off balance and interrupting my every thought. My stomach sinks, a queasiness settling over me as I realize we are out of time.

  "Guys," I start but am interrupted by Damon, Elena, and Stefan jumping to alert.

  "What's going on?" Zeke whispers, almost falling off the couch as he tries to get to his feet quickly.

  He is answered by a strong knock on the door.

  I tense, not entirely sure what to expect. Damon's mouth tightens into a thin line as he glances to his brother. With a slight nod he steps forward, and opens the door.

  A chill settles in the room, freezing us in place as all eyes fall upon the last person any of us expects to see at my door step. My stomach twists with unease, bile rising in my throat as my mind struggles to understand.

  How is he here?

  The cool autumn breeze blows in threw the open door, making me unsure if the shivers that course threw my body are from the temperature or Leo's sudden appearance. His long neck now straightened, his head held high in defiance of all logic. His blond hair ruffles forward, falling over his pale blue eyes that stare blankly in at us. His ashen lips crack into a smile, the only sign of life that emits from his deceased body.

  At least, I could have sworn he was dead.

  "But..." Zeke whimpers, breaking the silence as he steps back. Like a spell being broken, suddenly everyone is in motion.

  A growl rumbles through the air, so primal that the hair on the back of my neck stands on end. Damon lunges forward, his fingers digging into Leo's dingy shirt as he pulls him through the threshold of my home. With a rage I've never before witnessed, he throws Leo against the wall. The force of the impact shakes through the room, so strong that it nearly knocks our pictures off the wall.