36. Vampires and Threats

Start from the beginning

  "We understand," Stefan offers with a cool smile, opening the door for him.

  "Gotta bring home the bacon," Dad jokes with a final wave goodbye before stepping out the door and jogging to the driveway.

  Cold sweat breaks over my skin as I watch him disappear into his beat up old car. It's earie how with just a word his entire focus can be changed. Absentmindedly my fingers wrap around the pendent at my neck.

  "You okay?" Stefan asks, closing the door and blocking my view.

  "Yea," I answer, snapping back into the moment. "Had to be done," I explain, unsure if I am trying to convince them or myself.

  "So, what now?" Zeke asks, allowing himself to fall over the armrest of the couch and land back onto the cushions.

  "Don't fall asleep," Damon barks with an annoyed glance down at him before stepping to my side. I resist the urge to lean into him, knowing if I give in I will crumble apart.

  "Like I could if I wanted to," Zeke grumbles, shifting so that he is sitting normally on the couch.

  "We need to come up with a plan," Elena announces, eyeing me as she leans against the armrest beside Zeke.

  "Like anything we have come up with has worked out," Zeke shrugs, crossing his arms over his chest in a pout.

  "I just need to think," I whisper to myself, nibbling on my lower lip as I try to make sense out of my thoughts.

  I cover my face with my hands, blocking everyone out as I try to concentrate. Their voices surround me, but I no longer listen to what they have to say. They don't know the whole story, they don't know what I have seen.

  What will they say when I tell them?

  I can feel their eyes on me, only making the pressure to figure everything out build even higher inside. I rub my eyes, desperate for some peace, but the chaos inside my mind only continues to thrash against me.

  I wish I had that book, I wish I could look inside and see it all laid out in front of me. Maybe then I would be able to believe it. Maybe then it wouldn't feel like I was just hallucinating in my overwhelmed state.

  No matter how unreal it feels, I cannot continue to deny the truth that has been shown to me. I cannot deny what I know needs to be done. Now I only need to find a way, and muster up the courage.

  "Hey," pressure on my shoulder pulls me out of my thoughts, "what's going on with you?" Damon asks softly, his hand gently running over my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me.

  If only I could curl into his touch, hide myself in the safety that he offers. My body yearns to do so, to run off with him and to never look back. To insist that this is someone else's problem and that I am just a normal girl who can't do anything against the monsters.

  Normal, I still feel so normal, but deep down I know what is there. If I concentrate on it, I can feel it, the darkness.

  What will Damon say? I avoid looking up at him, as I step out of his touch. I brace myself, my muscles tensing even as I take a deep breath. I cannot put it off any longer.

  "I know why she is here," the words feel heavy on my tongue as I force myself to speak.

  "Looks like she is trying to set up a ritual," Stefan speculates before I can push myself to say more.

  "But why would she take Reza?" Zeke asks, turning to sit sideways so he can see everyone.

  "Well, it has to have something to do with the book," Elena adds, "the scripture probably tells her how to do the ritual."