"Well, my school work is fine, my job is fine and well... I've started seeing Bentley."

"Uh huh, I knew it!" she beams. "I saw you two leave school together the other day and I have been dying to ask!"

Definitely more my friend, than my counsellor.

"Maybe seeing is too much of a label," I say with an eye roll. "We've pretty much been hanging out but there has been a few make out sessions."

"That's exciting! He is the first, since...?"

"Since him, yes," I reply. "There have been a few random kisses at parties, but this is the first person I've liked, since the Devil left town."

She snorts. "I love your creative nicknames for him."

Him, is Miles Carter. My brother's ex-best friend and also, the boy I pretty much was in love with, all of my life.

Finn, my twin brother, always had a lot of guy friends and most of them were attractive. They were all flirty and charming, but I was used to it. They were at our house all the time and they were pretty much my friends, too. It was different with Miles, though. I had always thought he was amazing. I pretty much had a crush on him, ever since I met him, which was when we were young.

I was 16, when he began to notice me. I had always been kind of naturally pretty, I guess, but I just grew up a lot from age 14 to 16. I must have become more desirable, in his eyes.

It started with late night conversations around the kitchen island bench, to secret hang outs at the beach, to making out in the back of his car, to him creeping into my room of a night, when he was meant to be staying in the spare room.

I fell for him. Hard.

One night, after the football game, we planned to meet up. I was ready. I was going to give him a part of me that I could never take back. It was a big thing for me.

We were going to meet at the grandstand after the game. We were going to go back to his place and ditch the party. I waited one whole hour after the game, sitting in the freezing cold, waiting - hoping - he would show up.

I remember thinking, surely, he wouldn't stand me up on a night like this. Not when we were going to...

After the hour of waiting, I headed over to the party. It was only a fifteen-minute walk from the school football oval, but in the cold, it felt much longer. I was beyond pissed by the time I reached the party.

After searching for Miles everywhere, I finally found him.

In a room, with another girl.

I couldn't believe it. We weren't technically dating, but to me, we were. I felt completely heartbroken as I ran out of the house, crying, feeling like an idiot. Miles Carter was a notorious player and ladies' man. Why did I think I was any different? I was his best friend's sister, of course he wasn't going to stay with me. I'm just glad he didn't sleep with me and then do this after.

After calling my dad and asking him to come pick me up, I planned to never speak another word to Miles Carter.

However, the night had only started. Little did I know, things were going to get much, much worse.

When my dad was driving to get me, he had a head-on collision with a semi-truck.

He was killed instantly.

At this point, I still don't know who I blame more - myself for making the call, or Miles, for being the one to put me in that position.

Dad wasn't meant to be picking me up. He wasn't meant to be in the car that night.