Chapter 29 (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

I still need him.

I need this phone call.

I need my dad.

Even if he doesn't need me.

Incoming Call from "Dad" :

EK: Hello?

MK: You called.

EK: Yeah. I just--

MK: You called me fifteen times after midnight, Elias. This better be important.

EK: What are you talking about?

I click on my outgoing calls and see a series of them directed to my dad about one to two minutes apart.

Jersey.

I figured she'd try to pull something once I passed out earlier.

The girl never gives up.

I guess she wanted him to be here as badly as I did, and I can't fault her for trying. At least, she cared enough to try. he didn't even make the effort to show.

MK: We have one rule, Eli. No contact at the office unless it's--

EK: It was an emergency. I went through hell at that fucking station, and the only thing you care about is me calling you too many times?

MK: What you do isn't my business. You've made that clear to me time and time again. I'm simply respecting your limits despite the fact that you can't seem to respect mine.

EK: I needed your help, Dad.

MK: And I helped you. I posted your bail without asking questions, which is generous enough considering your record.

EK: Fuck you.

MK: You know, I keep hoping that you'll grow up. That one of these days you'll realize how much I've actually done for you. Most parents in my position wouldn't have spent the money or time to get you out of another situation that you created yourself.

EK: That I created? I had a fucking panic attack in the middle of the highway, and some racist asshole pulled me over and kicked the shit out of me because he thought my pills were drugs. How is any of this my fault?

MK: What are you talking about?

EK: If you'd actually showed up tonight, you could've seen what he did to my face, but you wouldn't even pick up the phone, sir.

MK: Are you hurt?

EK: What the fuck do you think?

MK: Did you get the officer's name at least?

EK: Yeah. Why does it matter?

MK: Because I'm a lawyer, and you're still my son. How long are you in town for?

EK: Just today. My girl--my friend and I head back to LA tomorrow.

MK: Come by the house later. I'm having a barbecue this afternoon for a couple of guys at the firm, and I think that we could set aside some time to talk.

EK: We don't talk, Dad. Every time we try, things go wrong.

MK: Which is exactly why I want you to come by when there are other people around. It'll keep us grounded, and it'll be good to let some of my guys know what happened. You might have a case we can pick up.

EK: Fine, but I'm bringing someone with me. If that's gonna be a problem, then I'm not coming.

MK: It's not a problem. But I don't want this 'someone' to be a girl you're screwing.