Chapter 29 (Part 1)

*Note: Click the Youtube link above to listen to the Audiobook Version of this chapter voiced by Kristen Maglonzo featuring music by Dean Lewis, Luav, Luhx, Alex and Sierra, and Big Data.

Elias

My dad didn't show.

Nine thirty AM.

No missed calls.

No missed texts.

He's just missing.

And, I'm trying not to miss him, but I do.

I hate that I do. I hate that I need him to be here, that I want somebody in my own family to talk me down and take my mind off of what happened back at that station. But, I don't have anyone.

Nobody on my side.

Nobody in my corner.

Except her.

Jersey's still asleep. Her head's propped up against the window, and she's so quiet I keep having to check to see if she's still breathing. The girl could sleep anywhere and through just about anything. At least that much about her hasn't changed.

She totally knocked out after the first night we were together which was crazy weird because most girls can't sleep after something like that.

Especially after being with someone like me.

Lacey cried. She held onto me for hours, quietly sobbing into my chest because she knew things between me and her were gonna be different.

But Jersey, just--snored.

She drooled all over my arm like it was any other night. Like nothing between me and her had changed--even though everything had.

She walked out of that situation so much stronger than I expected her to.

Bold instead of broken.

And, I fell for that.

I fell for how unbreakable, unchangable, and un-fucking-believable she was.

How un-fucking-believable she still is.

I'm still rattled by her--and the fact that no matter which way she sleeps her nose still sounds like a fast-moving freight train.

It's disturbing.

And terrible.

And weird.

But it's her.

And I've missed her.

Sometimes, I scare myself into thinking that this whole situation isn't real, and that I'll wake up back at Bellevue.

Alone.

But then reality reminds me that I'm miles away from all that, and that the girl who used to be miles away is right next to me now.

The only problem is, I'm not allowed to touch her the way I want to--and, God, I want to. I'm not sure if it's because I've missed her or if it's because I know she's the only person who can take my mind off of how shitty life's been, but I want what I want.

And I want her.

I crack open the car door, slowly, and step outside into the salty air because I need to breathe. But the second I do, the buzz of my phone in my back pocket knocks the wind out of me. I stare down at the screen and see "Dad" pop up in the caller ID. I stand there shaking, wondering whether I should answer the call or let him ring to voicemail for the rest of his fucking life. But I swallow my worst intentions and swipe open the screen.