six | we can make it

CLARKE:

"So what's he like?"

I spin around. Madi is standing behind me, apparently having left the rover after I told her to stay there. I'm sitting on the edge of the forest, near where I met her exactly a year ago. In that time, we've become extremely close. I teach her everything I know, and we tell each other stories from the lives we had before Praimfaya. Yet everyday, when I talk to Bellamy, I make her stay in the rover. I've told her very little about him. Maybe it's because it's too hard to talk about him. Maybe it's because she almost looks like him, with her dark hair and gentle face. She has a protective nature, too. It started out with me taking care of her, she takes care of me just as much now.

"Who?" I ask, facing forward again. I'm not even going to lecture her, because I understand her curiousity. In the stories he's been in, which is practically all of them, I haven't expanded much on him, just mentioned his name once or twice. Even though she's still young, she can tell that there's something I'm not saying to her.

"Bellamy," she coos, sitting down next to me.

"How do you know it's Bellamy?"

"I sometimes listen to you talk to him," she says, leaning her head on my arm.

I'm surprised by her honesty, but Madi isn't one to lie to me, so I shouldn't be.

"What's he like?" I repeat. I think for a second. "Kind. Protective. Smart, strong, honest."

"Just like you," Madi replies. "Was he your boyfriend?" she asks, with a sweet smile.

I take her hand in mine. "No," I say, looking up at the sky. "But I love him."

"But you'll see him when he comes down from space, right?" she asks eagerly. "Will I get to meet him?"

"I hope so," I tell her. "He would love you."

"Really?" She sounds so excited.

"Of course," I say, looking at her and grinning.

She is glowing, and my heart warms at seeing her so happy.

"Why do you talk to him everyday?" she asks suddenly.

"I don't know," I say. "I just miss him, I guess."

Madi nods. "I miss my family, too."

I hold her hand and we sit there for a minute, looking up at the sky. Then, I kiss her forehead and ask her to get some things set up in the rover while I talk to Bellamy. She says to tell him "hi" from her, and then scurries off.

"Hey, Bellamy," I say into the walkie. "Madi says hi. Today's the two year anniversary. Two years down, three to go, right? We can make it. I know we will. I have Madi, you have everyone up there, and when you come down, we're all going to be one big family again, okay? And nothing is going to stop me from loving you this time. I'm never going to let you go. Talk to you tomorrow. I love you."

Hope you liked the chapter, please comment and vote if you did!