Chapter 20: New tail

"*grunt* How am I going to pull this off?! I don't even know how it can work on it's own!", said Hiccup to himself, banging his head on his desk.

When he heard some knocking on his door, he looked up. He got up and opened it to see... "Astrid? W-What are you doing... um, here?", asked the rider. She entered the house without any permission. "Oh-kay... Come in...", said lightly Hiccup.

"So... How far are you in this project of yours?", asked the girl. "Not far... Actually, I didn't even start *scoff*! I-I don't know how! My mind's just... blocked!", answered Hiccup, "What do you want, Astrid? You came here for a reason, didn't you?" "That was just it. Goodbye," said the girl, in an emotionless voice.

As she was about to leave, Hiccup quickly ran to the door and shut it. He stay in front of it with his arms crossed. "Hjalmar... Let. Me. Through!", shouted Astrid. "Not until you tell me what's wrong," answered Hiccup in a calm voice. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms too.

"I'm tired of all the secrets! Just tell me who you are! I won't tell anyone, I promise!", screamed the girl. "Does my real name change who I am?" She slightly gasped. He sure knows what to say in those situations!

She looked down, not really knowing what to say. "Well...No... N-Not really, but..." "I'll tell you... eventually. I promise," he said, interrupting her. He started to slowly walked towards Astrid. When he was inches from her, he took her hands. She looked at him straight in the eyes.

"I once made a promise (A/N: it's the promise at the end of chapter 8, when he promises to himself that he'll find Astrid), and I kept it. When I make a promise, I always keep it," said Hiccup to her. She smiled, which made the rider do so, too. He stepped away from the door for her to be able to leave. Just when she was about to leave, she said something...

"Gears..."
"W-What?"
"For your tail thingy... Try it!", answered Astrid, looking back at Hiccup.
"You're a genius you know that?"

She just scoffed and left. Without Astrid, he never would've started. He did some sketches, each one better than the last. After about an hour, he finally had the design he wanted.

Astrid was partially right. There was a gear-like piece in it, but there was also a crank-like mechanism. There was also a small rod that needed to be attached to Toothless' good fin to be able to track the movement and replicate it on the prosthetic fin.

Now that the sketch was done, he'd need to go to the forge and make the pieces. They were pretty small, so he'd need to be very precise. He'd also need to be very quiet and subtle, since a dragon's tail fin is pretty impressive. It doesn't go unnoticed. Neither does a Night Fury, but... *sigh* You know...

Anyways, Hiccup would need a cover. He knew exactly who, but right now, let's not disturb her...

Gobber had his day off, so the forge was all his. He quickly got there, not to be notice, and began working. He could have almost finished the system, but he had to flee due to Gobber's return. Well, looks like he's going to finish it tomorrow.

As he was walking to his house, he got interrupted by the two Thorstons.

"Hey, H! Tomorrow's dragon racing! Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs and us are going to play! Wanna see us win?", asked Tuffnut
"Dragon racing?"
"Yeah! It's like this cool sport we invented were we collect sheeps and get points! It's awesome!", answered his sister.

Hiccup then had an idea. But first, he had to finish the tail...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello! I'm SUPER sorry if I described the tail wrong. I really don't know much about it. I tried to look it up, but it didn't say anything about how it worked, so... I just wrote what I saw.

It should look like this

It should look like this...Anyway, thank you for the views and the likes. See you soon!
-Maya's Stories
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~