Wattpad Original

Chapter 77

"Trinity! Daniel!"

I lifted my head at the frantic call and immediately pushed my bedroom window open and vaulted out. I huffed as I hit the ground and took off running in the direction the voice had come from. A few early risers were also running toward the commotion, although most people were probably just waking up.

Daniel usually went out for a run shortly after sunrise, so he might not be back yet. My Nightstalker speed had me almost skidding around corners as I zig-zagged between the buildings.

"Let me at 'em!"

I growled at the sound of Nicky's voice. What was she doing out here? I thought she had gone for an early shower like she normally did. This was not how I planned to wake up from my morning nap.

I rounded the corner and narrowed my eyes when I saw Nicky beating the hilt of her unsheathed sword against a shed door. A handful of people stood at a distance, but none were going near the crazy woman while she brandished live steel in her hands.

My pace slowed as I approached, now reassured that no one's life was in immediate danger. Still, something didn't seem right. I had never seen Nicky use her weapons in an insanity blitz before. Sticks and cans for bruises, yes; but not actual weapons being wielded to inflict serious harm. I could smell her anger from here – she was completely pissed off about something.

Being angry was no excuse for threatening someone with a weapon though. She could easily get exiled for shit like that. I walked up behind her and growled sharply to catch her attention.

"What the hell do you think you're doing with that sword?"

She kicked the door, not letting up in her attempts to get in. "Those two idiots were making plans to burn this place down because Ironwind let you and Daniel stay here! I plan on kicking their asses for that underhanded scheme!"

A growl rumbled through my chest as I turned my narrowed eyes to the door. The slowly growing crowd behind us muttered unhappily at this news.

"Someone go wake up Nina and get her to radio Daniel," I called back to them. "I also want one of the people in charge of the guards to get here ASAP."

Several people took off running. I wasn't stupid; I may be a Nightstalker, but I had only been in this place for three weeks. I didn't set the policies or rules in this place, and I knew it. There would be rules for situations like this, so someone with authority was going to be needed to make these decisions. Besides, that would give the two guilty culprits someone else to blame.

There wasn't a true singular leader here; instead, a handful of people seemed to make decisions as a group, and Nina was one of them. I slowly walked away from the shed as Nicky continued to pound on the door. I didn't bother intervening since it kept the two pyromaniacs inside and let Nicky vent at the same time.

There were about fifty spectators by the time Nina finally rounded the corner at a slow run. An older man ran beside her, and I recognized him as one of those who oversaw the guard schedule.

She slowed as she walked over to me, looking between Nicky and the crowd. "What's this about someone trying to start a fire?"

I glanced back at Nicky, who was still banging the snot out of the shed door, although she was starting to tire and slow down.

"Nicky said two people were planning on burning down this place because they allowed sane zombies inside. I didn't get anything else out of her and decided to wait for others to arrive before trying to question her. Besides, the door is doing a lovely job of wearing out her temper."

I was actually kind of impressed at how well the door was holding up. Nicky wasn't going easy on it either. Many lesser shed doors would have fallen under her assault.