Episode Ninteen: Worlds

"Unless you're a parent, you don't understand the impulse to do whatever it takes to protect your children. There is no stopping a mother or father from doing what they see is best for their kids."
-Beatrice Blume

TEMPEST

The observation room is at the head of the ship, directly above the cockpit or whatever it's called on a ship like this, and the entire room is made of glass. I can see the entire universe expand in front of me, and even from here, I can see the speck of land floating in the cosmos where we will one day land. Thirteen light years away doesn't look as long as it is in reality, but hopefully the proposed FTL drives will help that. And help Esther get here too.

The sky around me—because out here everything is sky—is a swirled water color painting of dark blues, purples, pinks, and specks of glitter glimmering in and out of splendor. It's gorgeous and romantic, which gives this meeting a very clear Yuri feel. Of the two guys in my life, Yuri is the one who is all about romance. Neo is all about the application, but that's stopping. Yuri has to be the only guy in my life from now on, what with explosives in our DNA and all.

"You're early," a voice says from behind me, and I spin around, caught off guard. It doesn't sound like Yuri or Neo, and when I turn, I see who actually summoned me into this romantic spot. Suddenly, it's not so romantic.

"Emperor Oshiro," I reply to greet him. I bow, which sends wrinkles over his aged face as he smiles.

"It is lovely to finally meet you, Tempest."

He and I had always been at the same parties where I'd seen Yuri, of course, but he's right—until now, we'd never officially met.

"You too, sir."

He moves to sit on one of the cushioned seats in front of the observatory windows, in front of the galaxy, and allows himself to rest a moment before getting straight to business. "My son Yuri is quite infatuated with you."

"Yes, sir. I enjoy his company as well."

"Not as much as Yuri would like," he responds.

"I'm sorry?"

He sighs. "Yuri is aware that you were hesitant about joining this voyage."

"I know. He gave me the option to leave."

"Kind soul. However, he does not know that you've been fraternizing with the staff."

My whole body goes cold, as it feels like all the blood rushes to my cheeks. "What?"

"Neo Sanders will be reassigned from your care, but Yuri is never to know the reason. Neo has special interests in physics, so he will be working as an engineer from now on. You are not to see Neo after this conversation, nor are you to engage in any form of contact with him. Yuri is to be your sole focus. You need not apologize to Mr. Sanders, as he has been promoted and will be much happier in this position. You need not discuss this with Yuri, as he has been given the official story, and as far as he is concerned, Neo was and always will be a simple servant to you."

All of the universe behind the emperor seems to close in on me, and all I can say is a strained, "Sorry."

He nods. "As is evident from your phone conversation with your cousin on Earth, you are aware of the imperfections in the DNA of your generation. Yuri is not an exempt from this, not like you."

"I don't have the explosives? How do you know?"

He smiles again. "As I said, Tempest: I know everything. It is my job to know everything."

"Why would you allow your son on the ship if he could explode at any time?"

"He won't. My job is to make sure he is happy, but now that is your job. He is not to know about the explosives, nor about this conversation. Suffice it to say, I am not pleased with your performance so far. You were asked here to be a comfort to him, and you have yet to fulfill your duty."