Episode Eight: Butterflies

"Sometimes love doesn't make any sense. Sometimes it just jumps up, surprises you, and sinks its teeth into you. Despite your best efforts to swat it away. Sometimes it sneaks in."
-Todd Blume

TEMPEST

I make my way down the hall as the final passengers of the Mayflower board. Tomorrow I'll be set adrift in space for the next thirteen years. I push through the crowd of scientists, engineers, doctors, teachers, and their families, trying my best not to knock over any of their suitcases or seem too rude. I have to live with these people, maybe even make friends with them. Maybe one day work with them. I force a smile as I squeeze between bodies, and try not to sound too frustrated when I say, "Excuse me." After all, it's not their fault I'm in such a bad mood. The Mayflower in general makes me angry, but I'm still calming down after my little fight with Mom, just in time to make it to dinner with Yuri.

I decided to wear one of the nicer dresses I packed, but not my nicest. That I'm saving for a more special occasion... or a "rainy day," whichever comes first. The dress comes down to my knees and is mostly black except for a few pink and yellow sprays of follows in the pattern. I didn't bother to do anything with my hair, mostly because I forgot to pack my straightening iron, but also because I don't want to look like I've put too much energy into dinner. It's true that I used to be interested in Yuri, but I can't give him the satisfaction of knowing his little mind game to get me on this ship was welcomed. Because of this, my hair is drying frizzy and wavy. I look like I've just spent the day at the beach. The beach... I'll miss the beach.

At the end of the hall is a door marked "Captain's dining room," where I can only assume Yuri is waiting for me. He may not be the actual captain of the Mayflower, but I'm sure Yuri would beg to differ.

Then I open the door, and a bit of that bitterness toward Yuri melts away at the sight of hundreds of glowing candles. My mouth falls open, and as much as I would have tried to fight it seconds earlier, a smile sneaks into my lips as I allow myself—my special self, the only other person in the room besides Yuri—to take it all this boy has done for our first dinner together.

The deep purple walls glow a warm burgundy in the candlelight, and four guys in penguin suits stand in front of each of the walls of the room, including one beside me who shuts the door after ushering me further inside. I laugh at the formality, but still continue toward the long, mahogany table, covered with red roses and glowing candles. I hate how much I'm enjoying this.

Yuri stands at the end of the table, with a smile and, contrary to the rest of the room, casual outfit. He wears faded blue jeans and—if I'm being honest—a slightly wrinkled black button down. But then he smiles, and I remember why I had been so enchanted by him all those years ago. His entire face seems to smile, from his lips to his eyes, and he gestures toward the chair beside him for me to sit.

 His entire face seems to smile, from his lips to his eyes, and he gestures toward the chair beside him for me to sit

I bite my lip, but neither of us say a word. I'm not sure what to say to him. I'm angry that I'm here because of him, and somehow also full of butterflies to be here in his presence. I'm a fourteen-year-old girl again, being pulled by some force outside of herself toward the emperor's son. The son of the most influential person on this ship, who will one day be the most influential person in a whole new world. The promise of power mixed with Yuri's romantic side shining through in this moment energizes my legs to send me forward, until I'm at his side.