“What type of little friend?” The receiver asked carefully as if this situation has occurred before.

“It’s a really large dog. At first I thought it was a wolf but it came over with its tail wagging and licked me. It seems to be some sort of pet but I couldn’t find a collar.” The animal catcher replied.

“Why are you calling me to tell me you picked up a dog?” The receiver asked starting to sound annoy by the situation.

“It needs medical treatment. I think its leg is broken.”

“Fine I willnotify the vet”

“Thanks.” Said the man. With that, the conversation was over and we were on our way to town. Well, probably not the right town since the man didn’t know anything about werewolves. Thankfully we had to pass through BrownPaw Pack’s town before we reached the pound. I shifted into my human form and unlocked my crate. This caused the already crazed raccoon to go bouncing off all four walls of its crate. At the stop light, I opened the van’s rear door and jumped out. Adrenaline kicked in once again and I bolted as quick as my broken leg would let me towards the nearest store which happened to be a gas station. I heard swearing and then the man was yelling at me for letting the dog escape. Once inside the shop, the people immediately recognized me and hid me in their closet. The owner of the shop told the animal catcher I had gone out the back door. Eventually the man gave up looking for me and the escaped dog and left in his van.

Tired and exhausted, I thanked the owner and one of the customers gave me a ride to Dalton’s house. As I approached the door, I could hear Bryce yelling. I have never heard his voice so panicked before. Kaden was trying to calm Bryce down, telling him that they needed to stay here just in case someone calls. I reached the door and knocked. Immediately everyone shut up and I heard footsteps approach me at a fast rate. The door slammed open, I was lifted off my feet into a giant bear hug. I squeaked in pain which caused Bryce to quickly yet gently place me back on the solid ground.

“What’s wrong?” Bryce asked but before I could answer, he saw my arm. “Your arm is broken! Get the pack doctor!” Bryce ordered Kaden and Dalton. Neither of them challenged the order and they immediately left to get the pack doctor. Bryce gently picked me up and placed me on a couch. He continued to tell me how happy he was that I was back safe and sound; but I could tell by the worried look on his face that I must have looked like a mess to them. I have cuts and bruises all over my body along with mud and leaves plastered here and therefrom my escape.

Everything seemed like a dream. Every few minutes, I would pinch myself to make sure I was awake. Each time, I was afraid I would wake up back in that room with that creepy mage. After the pack doctor fixed my arm and put it in a sling, I began my story. By the end of the story, both Kaden and Bryce had each punched a hole in the wall. The only one calm and not surprised was Dalton.

“I’m going to kill Jeff and he won’t die quickly.” Kaden threatened and Bryce growled in agreement. Jeff was the traitor who tricked us in the beginning.

“This Ryan uses old magic and that isn’t good. You Alpha should be here any minute. When he heard you had been kidnapped he left immediately.”

Alpha was very calm and collected when he walked in. When he saw that Bryce was still upset, Alpha ordered him to either calm down or leave. Bryce collected himself immediately. Kaden also became professional like and you couldn’t tell he had just punched a hole in the wall only minutes ago. Thankfully, Bryce had clothes for me and I was able to feel more comfortable in them than the borrowed ones I had been wearing.

Dalton showed us to his conference room and assured us that his meeting room was sound-proof and no one would hear us. The meeting room contained one rectangular table that had six chairs and one circular table with six chairs. The circular table is used for a meeting of Alphas to make sure no one person has a seat of higher standings (a circular table means equality for all.) The rectangular table is used for a meeting of two packs. The alphas had a seat at each of the ends of the table and the other members sat on the sides of the table near their Alpha.

I sat to the left of Alpha and next to Kaden who sat to the right of Dalton. Bryce sat to the right of Alpha leaving one empty chair between Dalton and him. After settling in, Dalton explained the situation of my disappearance to Alpha.

“We need to talk to the mages.” Dalton said getting straight to the point. “We need to figure what old magic the rogues are using.”

“The question is will they help us?” Alpha replied. “They are not likely to admit that some of their ranks still know old magic since it was banned.” Old magic was banned due to the fact it was dangerous for the person using it and anyone around them. A lot of old magic also required live sacrifices for it to work properly. Eventually the other supernatural races realized the danger of old magic and forced to the mages to stop. I don’t have much details other than that.

“We all know that mages love knowledge, they wouldn’t let go of something so important.” Bryce put in.

“Exactly, so we have to convince them somehow to help us.” Alpha pointed out.

“I can do that.” I chimed in. “I have a piece of knowledge that they would be interested in and as we said before, mages love information.”

“No, Midnight. We will not use you as a bargaining chip. They might take too much of an interests in you. After all that has happened, I don’t think I should involve you anymore.” Alpha replied.

“I was perfectly capable of making it out of that mess! Wouldn’t that have at least proven I can take on this task? Anyways I wouldn’t tell them the extent of my abilities. I can tease them with bits and pieces and convince them that Ryan knows all of it. Once they want Ryan, they will help us.” I argued.

“She is right. She’s our best bet in convincing the mages to help and from what happened today, she has proven that she can defend herself.” Dalton pitched in.

“I will go with her.” Kaden immediately chipped in. “I can act as her body guard, I can even train her along the way.”

“Then I’m going too!” Bryce replied.

“No. I’m going to need your help Bryce. You are staying back.” Alpha sternly told Bryce. Bryce was about to protest but Alpha gave him a stare that caused Bryce to swallow his argument.

“Then it’s settled. Kaden and Midnight will head to the mages’ base to convince them to help.” Dalton instructed. “If Bryce went with them, they would know Midnight is part of the MoonPaw Pack and we want to keep her identity a secret. When asked, Midnight is a stray hired by BrownPaw Pack. Kaden, Midnight, get ready. You will be taking the next flight to Utah.”