Chapter 35

The entire drive to Emily's I was anxious beyond belief. I wanted nothing more than to see Paul again and get rid of the pounding headache that's plagued me for the last four days. Then again, seeing Paul was the last thing I wanted.

"Hey, Emily," I said as she met me at the door.

"Hey," she said softly. "Come in."

I followed her into the kitchen and started helping her like nothing was wrong. My heart couldn't take it anymore, and I finally broke down and asked about Paul. "Have you seen him?"

"He's been crashing in the room you two used to share," she said.

"Is he here?"

"No," she said, placing a batch of muffins in the oven. "Sam has him out working right now."

"Emily, it's killing me."

"I know, sweetheart, but can you imagine what it's been like for him?"

"I feel terrible," I said. "I don't know what was going on in my head. I just- Ugh!" I was beyond frustrated with myself. I wanted to punch myself in the face for dumping Paul.

I heard the guys wolf whistle as they​ came running into the house. Paul was the last one in, and he seemed to be half-heartedly talking to Jared.

He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me. My headache started to fade away, but I had to fight the urge to run over and kiss him.

"Can I talk to you?" I asked quietly. He nodded and started walking outside. I followed behind at a distance, and could feel Sam's eyes on us even once I was outside.

"Paul, I'm sorry. I never should have-" I started, but he cut me off.

"Don't," he said. He moved closer to me, and grabbed my hands. "I never should have told you that I had no choice but to kill your sister. I made the choice to stay loyal to Sam when I could've broken off for Jake and his pack. I realize now how stupid I was."

"Paul, I think I was the stupid one. I never should have made you chose between me and the pack. I should have known it was an alpha order. All I was thinking about was how depressed Dad would be if she died."

Paul wrapped his arms around me, and cracked his stupid crooked little grin that I loved so much. "How about we agree that we were both in the wrong?"

"And, that in the future we need to work things out without jumping to ridiculous things like breaking up," I said.

"Agreed," he said.

"Same here."

"So," Paul said, giving me his troublemaker grin. "Let's seal the deal with a kiss." I leaned up as he leaned down. I'm​ not sure I've ever been so thankful for the electricity that shoots through my veins when we kiss. I've missed his lips so much over the past four days that if I kissed his lips everyday of forever I still don't think it'd be enough.

I pulled back first, wanting nothing more than to continue to kiss, but needing air. "I love you, Paul Ethan." I laid my head on his bare chest, and wrapped my arms around his waist, savoring the feeling that I've missed so much.

"I love you too, Elizabeth Rain," he said, kissing the top of my head.

"Does this mean you'll be my boyfriend again?" I asked. My voice was muffled, but I knew he heard me.

"I think I might die if I don't take you up on that offer," he whispered. We stood there for another minute or so before Paul decided he was undeniably hungry.

"C'mon, babe," he said, pulling me into his lap. He was sitting at the table with the guys, and I was going to help Emily make food, but this is much better.

"You guys hungry?" She asked. "Like I have to ask." She sat a tray of muffins on the table and the guys all started grabbing for them, so she swatted their hands away. "Ah, ladies first, and save some for your brothers." The guys all audibly groaned as I grabbed a chocolate chip muffin.

"Thanks, Em," I said, pulling it apart and eating it.

"They know better," she said, swatting Paul and Jared on the back of the head.

I sat, listening to the guys conversations, for quite a while. I was so lost in my own thoughts and the conversation that I didn't even hear the phone ring.

"Lizzie," Emily called. I stood up and walked over to the phone. "It's your father."

"Hello," I said, taking the receiver.

"Hey, kiddo. Please tell me you made up with Paul," he said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, biting on my thumb nail. Paul turned around to look at me and started making faces at me.

"Jake said something about you two fighting," my dad explained.

"Yeah, well, things are fine. We made up," I said. Paul gave me an inquisitive look, and came to stand with me. He wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on top of my head. The action had an extreme calming effect on me.

"Good, because Sue made dinner. That boy is coming whether or not he wants to," my dad said. I rolled my eyes, and luckily my dad couldn't see me.

"I'll let him know. I'll see you in a few," I said.

"Goodbye. I love you. Drive safe," he said.

"Love you too. Always do," I replied, hanging up the phone.

"Sam," I said. "I'm stealing Paul. Chief's orders."

"What are you talking about?" Paul asked.

"Sue made dinner, and my dad said you didn't get a choice you had to be there," I said. Paul and I both looked to Sam who nodded and let us leave. Since it was Sue who made dinner, Seth and Leah we're also going with us.

"We've got to stop at my house unless you want me going to dinner in just my shorts," Paul said.

"My father would not approve of that," I said. I drove the minute to Paul's house and pulled the Jeep up in front of the house.

"Come on," he said. "Unless you want me deciding what to wear."

"I'm coming," I said, but he was already in the house.

I'd been here a couple times before so I just walked straight back to his room, and knocked on the door. He opened it, and was standing there in just some jeans.

"Have at it," he said, motioning to the extremely messy bedroom. Typical teenage boy.

"How do you even know what's clean?" I asked.

"I wear the same five pairs of shorts on a rotation, and Emily washes them. Everything in the dresser and closet is clean. Everything else, I'm not so sure about," he said. I rolled my eyes at him as I quickly flipped through the clothes in his closet.

"Remind me to come organize this place some day," I said, tossing a blue, denim-looking, button-up at him.

"But, I know where everything is," he complained. I threw a white v-neck t-shirt at him and rolled my eyes as he pulled both shirts on.

"I'm sure you do," I said, patting his shoulder and walking out of the room. He doused himself in Cologne before following me out to my Jeep.