Chapter 50

Standing in line, listening to the music, knowing that in a few short minutes I'd be married to the love of my life, I was the happiest I had been in a long time. I'd waited years for this very moment, and now, I was living it.

"Dad," I said softly as Morgan and Sam stepped off down the aisle.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Don't let me fall," I said, causing him to grin.

"As long as you don't let me," he said. I nodded, and we turned to corner so Paul and I saw each other for the the first time. He looked handsome in his black suit and teal tie. I felt the smile on my face grow as my dad and I slowly walked forward. Paul had tears in his eyes, that he quickly wiped away so no one else would notice.

My dad handed me off to Paul with a quick kiss on my cheek. I didn't really listen to what Billy, our officiant, was saying, focusing instead on Paul's eyes. I continued to stare at him, soaking in his appearance in this moment as Quil did a reading of some sort. I knew what he was saying, and trusted he'd stick to the script. Paul threatened to kill anyone who didn't do exactly what had been rehearsed.

"Do you Paul Ethan Lahote, take Elizabeth Rain Swan, to be your beloved spouse, knowing in your heart that you will be a faithful friend, and a loving companion? On this special day, in the presence of family and friends as witnesses, do you give your sacred vow that you will always be with Elizabeth and support her, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sorrow? Do you promise to love her completely, to console and comfort her during difficult times, to laugh with her and to grieve with her, to share with her life’s simplest but most enduring pleasures, to be truthful and honest with her, and to cherish her, for as long as you both shall live?" Billy said.

"I do," Paul said, planting an actual smile on his lips. It wasn't his troublemaker grin, but a real and genuine smile.

"Do you Elizabeth Rain Swan, take Paul Ethan Lahote, to be your beloved spouse, knowing in your heart that you will be a faithful friend, and a loving companion? On this special day, in the presence of family and friends as witnesses, do you give your sacred vow that you will always be with Paul and support him, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sorrow? Do you promise to love him completely, to console and comfort him during difficult times, to laugh with him and to grieve with him, to share with him life’s simplest but most enduring pleasures, to be truthful and honest with him, and to cherish him, for as long as you both shall live?" Billy said.

"I do," I said, running my thumbs up and down his hands nervously.

"Paul and Elizabeth have chosen to write their own vows," Billy said. "May I have the rings. Paul and Elizabeth's rings are an external and visible sign of the internal and spiritual bond of love which unites their two hearts. May they serve as a seal of the vows Paul and Elizabeth have made to one another. Bless these rings, symbols of eternity, beauty and strength. Bless the couple who give them and wear them—may they ever live in harmony, unity, love, and happiness from this day forward. Paul please recite your vows."

"When I was like 14 or 15 I had this massive crush on you, and I didn't know how to tell you about it, so I did what any sensible man would do. I wrote you a love letter. It was short and simple but covered everything I wanted to say. I'm going to read it to you now. 'Miss. Elizabeth Rain Swan, soon-to-be Lahote, I'm in love with you, and I'd never do anything to hurt you. That's a promise. I'll love you forever. The hopeful love of your life, Paul Ethan Lahote.' That promise means more to me today than it did back then. I swear to you that so long as I'm alive you and your happiness will always be my number one priority. I love you, Lizzie," Paul said, making me blush and smile like crazy.

"Elizabeth, please recite your vows," Billy said.

"We've known for a very long time we were meant to be together. Call it fate or destiny, whatever you want, but we were always together. There was this time I wrecked my bike when I was five and you kissed my skinned up knee, telling me that, and I quote, 'True love's kiss can heal anything.' I hated you for three days afterwards, because what could you possibly know about true love. Then when I was eight, you told me that you'd get me the moon if I only asked for it. I hated you then too, telling you that the moon was happy and content where it was. But, you persisted. When I was fourteen, you wrote me that note, and something in the way I felt about you changed. I didn't hate you for it. I guess, I was a hopeless romantic, and I fell head over heels for you and your stupid love letter.

"Paul, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad you're stubborn enough to have chased me for fifteen years, because you are one of the best things to ever happen to me. I'm glad you were persistent even when I hated you, because you make me, and I know this sounds cliche, but you honestly make me the happiest girl in the world. I promise to love you for all eternity, and to make you one of my top priorities, behind only Grayson, for all of eternity. I love you Paul."

"Paul and Elizabeth, by the power invested in me by the Quileute tribe of La Push, Washington, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride," Billy said.

Paul leaned in, but I stopped him. "What're you doing, babygirl?" He asked.

I turned to look at my dad. "Is he going to let us kiss?" I asked, and Paul looked at him with pleading eyes before he nodded and Paul and I kissed. It didn't last long, because Grayson started screaming.

"Daddy, you can't kiss mommy," he said. "We're in public." We pulled apart laughing at the young boy. Paul motioned him to us, and he ran over. Paul bent down to scoop him up and carry him off to where we had to sign stuff before taking pictures.