Chapter 10

Six and a half hours later, I was standing face to face with the doctor who I used to believe was the greatest hero ever. I think I might still believe that.

"Thank you Carlisle. I know how much this means to Lizzie," Paul said, holding his hand out to shake Carlisle's.

"It was the least we could do," he said. "I received a call from your father, and he should be here in another hour. We can just wait here if you like."

Paul and I shared a look and seemed to be communicating through slight facial expressions.

"I think we should wait here," I said. "My dad would get lost without us here."

"Alright," Carlisle said. We took seats near where my father's flight would be landing, and I curled into Paul's shoulder.

"Sleeping again?" My dad asked, playfully shoving my shoulder to wake me up.

"I only got three hours of sleep last night," I said, standing up and falling back down within a second.

"Come on. I'll give you a Piggy back ride," Paul said, and I happily agreed.

"Hey," Edward said as I walked into Bella's hospital room.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"Doing what?" He asked.

"Acting like you aren't the reason Bella's here. Lying to me about why my sister is on death's doorstep," I said.

"Why do my intentions matter to you? And for the record, she fell down two flights of stairs and out a window," Edward said.

"You can lie to Renee and Charlie, but not too me," I said. "And your intentions matter because, as much as she doesn't like me, she's still my sister and I don't want to see her get hurt."

Paul was coming closer to me as my anger grew and I could feel him getting ready to wrap his arms around me and drag me back into the hallway. Luckily, Dad walked in caring a tray of coffees.

"One for the sleep deprived. One for her boyfriend. One for me. And one for you if you'd like Edward," my dad said. Edward politely declined, and sat down in the chair in the room. He soon started to act like he was asleep.

"You okay?" Paul asked lowly. I nodded yes. We'd been here a few hours already and I wasn't sure how much longer I could stay. My back ached from this stupid floor, and mother's arrival was imminent.

"I'm going to get dinner," my dad said. "You guys want anything?"

"No thank you," Paul said.

"Just a drink," I said. I curled my body closer to Paul, trying desperately to fall sleep on this God awful white floor in this God awful white room.

"How's she doing?" Renee asked as she walked into the room.

"She's alive," I said, standing up. Paul stood up with me, calming me down some but not much. This is the first time in my life that I've seen her, but I have very strong opinions of her.

"Who are you?" She asked.

"Charlie Swan's daughter," I said. It was my standard introduction.

"I didn't know he remarried," Renee said.

"He didn't," I replied, looking at her as she announced my eyes.

"So who's your mother?" She questioned again.

"She abandoned me shortly after I was born. I don't know her, but my dad was in love with her," I said, sweetly.

"Are you my little Elizabeth?" She asked.

"I'm not your little anything," I hissed. "You didn't want me then. You didn't help raise me. Heck, you didn't even name me. Dad, Harry, and Billy named me. Sue Clearwater is the only mother figure I've ever had. Luckily she's been there for me, because my dad wouldn't have had any idea of what to do."

"You are my flesh and blood," she said.

"You signed away your maternal rights," I said. "You don't get to claim me as your anything. You lost that right a long time ago."

"Hon, calm down. I'm your mother. I'd never do that. Your dad was keeping us trapped and not letting me be me," she said.

"Is that what you've brainwashed Bella to think?" I asked. My fist clenched at my side and Paul tensed as he moved closer to me to keep me from hurting anyone. "You told her Dad was keeping you in Forks against your will, didn't you? You told her that he only had himself in mind, and not you two. News flash. Dad is nothing like that. He is twenty times the parent you'll ever be."

"Honey, your father couldn't possibly care about you if he's letting you date that boy. Bella told me all about him," she said.

"You know nothing about him," I hissed, trying to attack her. Edward pretended to wake up, and Paul wrapped his arms around my waist.

Paul started talking to me to get me to call down. "Babe, come on. She's not worth it. Prison is not worth it."

"Let me go," I hissed trying to elbow him off of me.

"No can do," he said. He dragged me out of the room and sat me in a chair in the hallway. He crouched in front of me to keep me where I was and started talking to me.

"Babe, what's going on in your pretty little head?" He asked. His voice was calm and steady like always, but softer than usual.

"You heard what's going on," I said. "She abandoned me and now she's trying to act like I'm her daughter. I don't even know her. To me, she is the female equivalent of a sperm donor."

Paul cracked a smile at that, causing me to smile as well. "Is that really how you see her?"

"How else am I supposed to see her? She gave birth to me and left town the day she got out of the hospital," I said.

"Can I steal that phrase from now on?" He asked. "The whole female equivalent of a sperm donor thing?"

"Sure," I said. He decided I had calmed down enough that he could sit next to me instead of in front of me.