Chapter 1: Simplicity Of A First Day

~ Jackie's POV ~

I sat at the kitchen table that morning eating breakfast. Scrolling through social media on my phone. I sighed as I finished my eggs and bread, placing the dish in the sink and drinking the rest of my awaking coffee. Taking a sip of my water, I looked at the time, it was 7:30am. I tied my long black hair into a ponytail and grabbed my backpack, exiting the house and got into my black car. My parents worked the early day shift, so they wouldn't be home till a few hours after I got out from school. I turned my car engine on, plugged my phone into the aux cord, turned up some music and began driving to the school.

My last year of high school. This is my second year living here in Seattle, Washington. I moved here for my parent's jobs. Though I was originally born in San Diego, California. I was at first upset to move away from family members and friends, but now I realize it was a nice change of environment.

Arriving to the school, parking my car, I checked the time. It was 7:45am. I got out of my car and walked into the double door entrance of the school. I took out my phone and pulled out my schedule. I have gym first period... Well, what's more fun than a morning workout. Then I have physics for second, government for third and English literature for fourth. After that is lunch, I have drawing 7-8 for fifth, and trig/pre-calculus for sixth period. Then my seventh is an off campus, so I can leave early to head home.

I placed my phone back into my pocket and began making my way down to the gym. The five minute bell had rang when I made it to the gym doors. Entering the area and found my teacher, Mrs. Cordery, to go and sit at her side of the bleachers in the gym. As I waited I placed my bag down and got on my phone, beginning to play a game.

The bell rang a few seconds later, and a woman came to the front of our area, assuming it's our teacher and I sighed, looking up to her. She began introducing herself and then passed out the syllabus. We went over then criteria and all. Knowing we will be spending the next three days to a week here in this gym and not doing anything because we need PE clothes and our lockers in the locker room. When she had finished everything, we had like twenty minutes of free time left. So they got out some volleyballs and basketballs to play while the time slowly ticks away to second class.

When second, third and fourth period came, it was all the same thing, going over the syllabus, the supplies we needed for the classes, the rules, and the purpose and goal of the class, that we'll be starting tomorrow or Wednesday. After that, it was all free time. Falling asleep is like the easiest thing to do on the first day of school.

The bell for lunch came and I got a text. 'Meet me by the library.' I smiled at the text I had gotten from Amber. I've known her ever since elementary. Our parents we really good friends which brings both of us close. They moved over to Seattle after we finished our eighth grade year and we moved over here just last year for my parent's jobs. With the line of work these days, it's hard to not get laid off the job you're currently working at. But whatever, it was a nice move and I got to reconnect with my best friend again.

"Hey." I said as I approached the library where she was sitting on the bench by the door.

"Hi." She smiled and hugged me. "How were your first four classes?"

"Boring but good." I said as we sat down on the bench. "Yours?"

"Same. But whatever it's the first day of school." She said, "What are your last three classes?"