chapter 10: a living nightmare

The next day I had decided to come a little earlier to school than usual because I wanted to discuss things with Christian. The moment I saw him walk through the door I waved to him to come over near my locker so we could talk. "Hey  i'm sorry we had to cut our conversation short the other day," he said apologizing. "It's fine and I'm just glad I told you what happened." So how's it living with your mom and her friend?" It's really strange especially since I never met Nicole in my life but she's pretty nice and welcoming,"I told him. "That's good to hear."

"Listen I want to tell you more about my life." "You really don't have to." "You shared your secrets with me and now it's my turn to tell you mine." "Well if you're sure then okay." I decided to start from the very beginning to tell him about my life. "My mom and I always had a good relationship but that all changed when she remarried." "If you don't mind me asking what happened to your dad?" "He died in a car accident when I was really little." "I'm sorry for your loss." "Anyway when I was fourteen my mom married Bob and that's when I started getting abused." "That's terrible," Christian commented. "Bob would get drunk and then slap me when I even didn't do anything wrong but I never told anyone except my mom who didn't do anything about it anyway."

"She didn't believe you?" he asked. "Yes and she also loved him very much." It felt so good to tell Christian more about my life. I should probably continue I thought. "Later she started taking drugs and she got into drinking." I was going to say more but then I saw people walking in. I didn't want anyone to hear us especially Rachel. If she found out there was no question that she would tell her friends. The whole school would end up knowing about my personal life. "I'm done with what I have to say." "Thanks for telling me Ana," he said as we walked off to our classes.

It was the end of the day and I was waiting for my mom to pick me up since that's what she promised me. I waited and 20 minutes passes. Fuck where is she? I looked around for Christian. "Hey can I get a ride home?" I called to him. "Sure." "Nicole's house is in oak tree lane." Christian dropped me off. "Listen if you need to talk outside of school call me anytime," he said as I left. "I will." I walked into the house. Nicole must have been at work. I wanted to know why my mom didn't pick me up like she promised. Then I found out why. She was lying on the ground. "Mom?" I was shocked. What just happened? I ran to the kitchen and grabbed the phone so I could dial 911.  Please be okay. "911 what's your emergency?" "My mom has passed out on the floor and I don't know what happened." "Stay calm and we'll be right there." So many thoughts were racing through my mind. Will she be okay?

Two minutes later the ambulance pulled up. I raced to the door so I could let them in. As they got her out of the house I knew that I had to call Christian.

"Hey Ana."

"I came home and I saw my mom lying on the ground."

"Is she okay?"

"I don't know but I called an ambulance and they are taking her to the hospital."

"Listen Ana, I'll drive to the hospital and meet you there."

"Thank you for being here for me."

"No problem."

After that we hung up. It felt so good having Christian here for me. For me it was still hard to believe I have someone so amazing in my life. At that moment I ran out of my house and went in the back of the truck. My heart was pounding in my chest. Soon enough we were at the hospital. I climbed out of the truck and I saw Christian getting out of his car.

"Ana!" he called after me. "Christian you came!" "Of course I did. I would never leave you hanging." He could probably see the scared look on my face because he told me that everything was going to be fine and that I shouldn't worry too much. We followed the people who were taking my mom into the hospital and Christian was right next to me the whole time.

We sat in the waiting room and I just couldn't take it anymore. The tears just poured out of my eyes like a river down a stream. "Please don't cry Ana. I hate seeing you this way." Christian held me tight as I cried up a river. "Why does my life have to be so horrible?" "I don't know but you definitely don't deserve this," he told me.

We waited for about an hour until a nurse came in the room. She looked like she had some sad news to deliver. "I have some news about your mom," she told me. Oh no. This can't be good.  "I'm so sorry but your mom died because of a drug overdose." I couldn't believe what was happening. It was like I was in some kind of nightmare that I couldn't wake up from. Christian held me tight as I cried in his arms.  She was the only family I had left. Now she's gone I thought. "Ana I'm so sorry. Why don't you come over and spend the night at my house?" "Yeah I would like that." I could tell Christian felt bad for me but he didn't know what to say or do. I didn't know what I was going to do. Who would I live with now? My mom and I might've not been close but she was my family. Now I don't have anyone.