chapter 1: living in fear

I unlocked the door and came inside. Just then I heard a voice and I turned around. "Where the hell were you?" my step dad Bob yelled. "I was at Kate's house," I answered as my voice trembled. "I'm surprised you even have friends you worthless bitch." "Look i'm sorry." "Sorry doesn't cut it," he yelled at me. At that moment he slapped me in the face. I wanted to cry but I knew better than to do that. "Go to your room."

This was how it always was ever since my mom married him. He would get drunk and then slap me when I didn't even do anything wrong. one time I was talking to Kate and then when I was done he pushed me and I fell hard onto the ground. Apparently I was talking too loud and disturbed his peace. It was honestly as simple as that. My mom knew what he was doing to me but she didn't say anything. It wasn't that she was scared of him or anything. She loved him and most of the time she didn't care. when I told her what he did she just said that he was under a lot of stress from work. My mom never did experience Bob at his worst. I told her what he did but she said I was over exaggerating. 

Some nights I didn't even want to leave my room. Bob would always be sitting downstairs getting drunk or he would invite some friends over. I'm not exactly the type of person who gets angered that easily and wants to wish harm upon someone when they piss me off but ever since the day Bob abused me I had wanted him to die. To make matters worse last week he lost his job. It came to the point were he would throw stuff at me. 

I never told Kate that he abused me or anyone else. Whatever is in my house stays there. When someone comes over he pretends like nothing bad goes on and that we have a good relationship. Kate has experienced him swear at me but I just lied and told her it was just a one time thing. She told me to tell her if anything was going on but I assured her I was fine. of course, the abuse I go through isn't that bad. I basically get slapped and occasionally whipped with a belt. it isn't like I bleed or go to the hospital or anything like that.

 The reason why no one knows about what Bob does is because I don't want to end up in a foster home. They could be much worse then this. I would just have to go through this for 2 more years. When I turn 18 I plan to move to Seattle so I can go to Washington State University with Kate. Despite my bad home life I get straight A's so hopefully I will be accepted. I might be living in fear now but soon I will be free.