Marooned

Once I was set down, Jack and Elizabeth went to get rum. I checked my leg. The bleeding was still going on, and I needed some sort of medical attention. I managed to stay conscious long enough so I could adjust my wrap. Once I finished, I finally allowed myself to pass out from stress and pain.

When I came to, Jack was angrily storming down the beach, Elizabeth standing near me and yelling at him. I groaned as I was able to feel my leg and the pain from yesterday's events.

"Mae? Stay down, alright?" Elizabeth asked softly as she squatted down next to me and inspected my leg. The gash was probably sandy, so she gently cleaned it with the warm Caribbean waters.

"Elizabeth? Where's Jackie?" I asked quietly as I clenched my teeth at the stinging sensation of the water.

"I don't know," she said as she finished with my leg. She untied the wrap and readjusted it so it fit better. I thanked her as I saw Jack running towards us, flailing his arms and yelling "ship".

The boarding party arrived on the beach. At first, I barely managed to walk, but then Jack held me in his arms. We boarded the longboats, which were full of British seamen, as Elizabeth explained to them my condition.

We boarded the Dauntless and Jack and I were immediately separated. I was taken belowdecks to receive help for my leg and other major injuries, while Jack and Elizabeth went above decks. After my leg was tied up with clean linen, I was helped above decks, where Jack was listening intently to Elizabeth and Commodore Norrington talking about Will. I heard them say they shouldn't go after the Pearl, to which I disagreed strongly.

"If I may be so bold as to inject my professional opinion. The Pearl was listing near to scuppers after the battle. It's very unlikely she'll be able to make good time. Think about it. The Black Pearl. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean, mate. How can you pass that up?" I asked as I was gently leant against the mast by the British doctor.

Jack looked over and rushed to me.

"Mae," Jack said as he carefully slipped an arm around my waist.

"By remembering that I serve others, Ms. Sparrow, not only myself." Commodore Norrington stated, looking rather surprised, as he had seen me when they picked us up.

I moved my arm around Jack's shoulder as he kissed my cheek softly. I smiled at him as I stood up almost entirely on my own, wincing slightly as I got used to holding myself up.

"Commodore, I beg you, please do this. For me. As a wedding gift." Elizabeth said. I felt surprised, as Will clearly loved Elizabeth.

To be honest with you, I don't remember the rest of that boring conversation. I just leaned into my big brother and smiled, pretending to enjoy the conversation. We then sailed to Isla de Muerta again.

"Do you wish to come, luv?" Jack asked as he checked my leg wrap.

"Yes. I may be helpful in some way. Also, I apologize if I am bad luck, Jack." I said, remembering the painful statement made by my own brother as I pulled away slightly.

"No, no Mae! I didn't mean it!" Jack exclaimed, letting go of my shoulder, causing me to lunge for the nearby mast for support.

"Really? Because the way you said it made it seem like you did," I said, scowling at him as he extended his arms towards me and caught me.

"I was drunk."

"THAT'S YOUR EXCUSE FOR EVERYTHING!"

"True. So do you want to come or not?"

"Hell yes," I said as I smirked at him. We went together to the longboat and boarded it, with Jack rowing the two of us. Looking back toward the cave, I silently recalled the events that had taken place there before.

"Perhaps you can help distract Barbossa and I can do something," Jack said as I inspected my new effects: a sword, a small hidden dagger, a pistol with one shot, and a little switchblade I could pull out and you wouldn't even know I had it in my hand. I smiled with satisfaction as we departed from our small vessel.

"I can limp now, so I guess that's good," I offered as Jack chuckled.

"You act like you're older than me a lot, Mae," Jack said as he stopped rowing and reached out with one arm to grab a rock to fasten the rope to. He helped me up, then got out of the dinghy and placed his arm around my waist.

"You protect me as if I'm helpless," I said softly as we neared the congregation. Jack sighed and hesitated for a moment. He gently turned me towards him as his eyes glistened.

"No. I protect you because it is my job as your brother. You are all I have left that I hold dear to my heart besides the Pearl. Remember this: you always come first," he said, stroking my cheek with love as I finally understood why Jack had protected me my entire life. I cracked a smile as we continued walking to Barbossa.

"Beg your pardon," Jack said as he held my hand tightly behind him.

When we made it to Barbossa, he held a knife to Will's throat above a chest of Cortez's treasure.

"Excuse me," I said sweetly as Barbossa recited the ritual. Will looked up and saw me.

"Maria!" Will exclaimed as I shoved forward with Jack right behind me.

"S'not possible!" Barbossa said unbelievably as he saw me walking.

"Not probable," Jack corrected him as he peeked out from behind me.

"Where's Elizabeth?" Will asked concernedly as his chocolate eyes scanned the crowd.

"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington, just like she promised. And you get to die for her, just like you promised. So we're all men of our word really except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman." Jack said as he put his hands protectively on my waist. Barbossa sneered when he saw Jack do this, while Will didn't move his eyes from me.

"Shut up! You're next," Hector said, motioning to Jack. I moved backwards so I was closer to him. I felt his two small beard-braids brush up against my head and saw three dreadlocks on the sides of my face.

"Aye, Hector," I said gently, trying a different approach. "You don't want to be doing that, mate."

"Ah, Maria Rose, I really think I do," Barbossa said smoothly back, his voice a soft and calm sound.

"Your funeral," Jack said, making Barbossa glare at him. I jumped slightly at the touch of a pirate on my shoulder, as he smiled maliciously at my body.

"And why don't I want to be doing it, Maria Rose?" Barbossa asked as he flicked his bloodshot eyes to my body as well. I felt Jack tense up behind me again, but I lightly touched him on his leg, and he relaxed.

"Well, because," I began gently, carefully removing the pirate's hand from my shoulder, "because the HMS Dauntless, pride of the Royal Navy, is floating just offshore. Waiting for you." I finished, hardening my voice and making Barbossa visibly flinch.