Key

I turned around and saw the bone the other prisoners had been trying to coax the dog with. I reached out for it and shook my hand.

"Come on, doggy. It's just you and me now It's you and ol' Mae. Come on. Come on, good boy. That a good boy, come on! Bit closer, bit closer. That's it, that's it, doggy." I said softly as the dog inched forward. Unfortunately for me, Jack had run out of patience.

"Come on you filthy, slimy, mangy cur. No, no, no, no, no, I didn't mean it. I didn't!"

I glared at Jack, who was regretting his decision.

A scuffle ensued upstairs as we turned our heads to the stairs leading to the upper portion of the prison. A guard was thrown down the stairs as Twigg and Koehler, Barbossa's crewmen, ran in.

"This ain't the armory," Twigg said with disappointment. Then he saw Jack and I still in our cell.

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here, Twigg! Captain Jack Sparrow and his lovely sister, First Mate Maria Rose Sparrow!" Koehler said with glee. I felt Jack tense up next to me. The last time I was with Barbossa, he humiliated me. I didn't show my fear, though.

"Last time I saw you, you two were all alone on a godforsaken island, shrinking into the distance. Their fortunes aren't improved much," Twigg said, spitting on Jack. I already had enough of this, so I decided to say something.

"Worry about your own fortunes, gentlemen. The deepest circle of Hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers." I said calmly. Koehler grabbed my throat as Jack jumped away. I looked down and there was a skeleton arm, not that much skin, gripping my throat.

"So there is a curse. That's interesting." Jack said, staring at Koehler's arm. I glared back at Koehler as he smiled, his grip tightening on my neck slightly. I strained to breathe, and was beginning to show it.

"You know nothing of Hell." Koehler said coldly as he roughly released my neck. I immediately fell back from the bars, snarling at the two sailors.

"That's very interesting," Jack said as they vanished up the stairs. I rolled my eyes as I laid down for the night.

"Night, Jack."

"Sleep well, dear sister," he said as he laid down next to me.

The next morning, I woke up to Jack trying to reach the bone that I had used to try and get the key.

"Ey, Maria. See the bone?" Jack asked, still straining to reach it. I nodded. "Well, I need it. If you get it for me, I'll pick this lock, and we'll be on our merry way, savvy?"

"Whatever ya say, Captain Jack," I said as I leaned into the bars and easily picked up the bone. I handed it to him and began helping him to try to pick the lock.

The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs made us stop. Jack left the bone in the lock and grabbed me. He laid me next to him with his arm around me so it looked like we were waking up.

"You. Sparrow!" Will Turner called to us. Jack didn't move, so I lifted my head off his chest.

"Aye. That be Jack."

"You are familiar with that ship—the Black Pearl?" Will asked me as I leaned back on my elbows.

"I've heard of it."

"Where does it make berth?"

"Where does it make berth? Have you not heard the stories? Captain Barbossa and his crew of miscreants sail from the dreaded Isla de Muerta . It's an island that cannot be found except by those who already know where it is." I stated, putting my head back down on his chest.

"The ship's real enough. Therefore its anchorage must be a real place." He protested, looking at me with interest. "Where is it?"

"Why ask us?" Jack asked as he studied his nails. I moved closer to Jack, acting like I was cold.

"Because you're pirates."

"That's not a good reason, lad," I said as I momentarily glanced up at him. Jack stopped studying his nails and propped himself up on his elbows.

"And you want to turn pirate yourself, is that so?" Jack asked as I sat up. I felt his hand poke at the bandana hair tie I used.

"Never! They took Miss Swann!" The man objected as I looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

"Oh, so it is that you've found a girl. I see. Well, if you're intending to brave all, hasten to her rescue and so win fair lady's heart you'll have to do it alone, mate. I see no profit in it for me." Jack said as he ceased tugging at my bandana.

"I can get you out of here."

"How's that? The key's run off." I retorted as Jack tugged me close. I undid my bandanas and fixed my hair back into a long braid. A small cornrow was already present, which I braided as well.

"I helped build these cells. These are half pin-barrel hinges. With the right leverage and the proper application of strength... the door will lift free." He took a bench and placed it under the first hinge.

"What's your name?" Jack asked as I finished my hair. I tossed it back, accidentally hitting Jack in the face. "Ey! I didn't deserve that!"

"Will Turner." Will smiled at me. I let a small smile form on my lips.

"That will be short for William , I imagine. Good, strong name. No doubt, named for your father, eh?" I asked, remembering Bootstrap.

"Yes. So, you're the infamous Sparrow siblings?

"Aye. That be us." Jack said as I looked at Will.

"Uh-huh. Well, Mr. Turner , I've changed me mind. If you spring us from this cell we swear on pain of death we shall take you to the Black Pearl and your bonny lass. Do we have an accord?" I asked as Jack sighed, having unwillingly let me take charge. I extended my hand through the bars, waiting to shake Will's hand.

"Agreed."

"Agreed. Get us out." Jack said as Will gently shook my hand. Jack stood up and offered me his hand, which I took and got up.

Will put all of his weight on the end of the bench and, sure enough, the door lifted up. He threw it aside. "Hurry. Someone might have heard that."

"Not without our effects!" Jack said as we rushed to the room with hooks on the walls. I slipped on my items efficiently, while Jack took a bit longer.

"Follow me," I said as I ran under the bridge.