A Sparrow's Kiss

"Maria!" Jack exclaimed as he rushed forward. I pulled away from the kiss as Jack gathered me into his arms. I looked at Will forlornly as Jack glared at him.

"What are you doing to her, you bastard?" Jack exploded as he shoved Will out of the master cabin. Will was speechless as Jack continued calling him all sorts of horrible names.

"Don't let me catch you piece of cur with my sister again!" Jack shouted as he slammed the door to the cabin. I turned away, not believing that Jack had just done that.

"Sister dear, are you alright?" Jack asked softly as he gently seated me on the bed. I nodded, putting my hands in my lap as Jack sat down next to me.

"Aye. Fine, Jackie. That mangy cur of a lad is rather interesting," I said as I leaned into his chest. He put an arm around me and held me tight.

"Good. You got stirrings for the lad, yes?" Jack looked at me as he played with my bandanas, taking my hair out of its long braid, settling into long bouncy waves.

"Nay. When shall we arrive in Tortuga, Captain Jack?" I inquired using a flirtatious tone as I toyed with his beard again, causing him to mumble softly.

"Within the hour, love." Jack said as he stood up and held my hand. I let him help me up and walk me out of the cabin and onto the deck. When I walked onto the deck, Will was standing by the wheel. Jack sneered at him as I held his hand, refusing to meet Will's concerned gaze. Will moved somewhere behind the wheel, but Jack didn't notice.

I stood by Jack for a bit, fixing half of my hair into a braid on the top. After I finished tying the bandana, I looked over at Jack. He was humming a famous pirate song to himself as he kept his gaze trained forward.

"Jackie?"

"Aye?"

"I will be at the stern for a bit." I said softly as I slipped back. I stood at the back deck, above the wheel, and looked over the sea we had crossed.

I sensed movement to my right, and glanced over. Will. Standing there, and looking at me. I looked down, not wishing to look into his eyes for the time being. I thought about the Black Pearl, and how Barbossa was the captain, not Jack. How Barbossa had abused me mentally. When we got marooned on that island.

Will draped his arm around my waist at that moment. I let out a yelp, alerting Jack to Will's physical contact with me. He raced up the stairs and to me at once, and I could feel Jack's eyes burning holes into Will. I heard footsteps dissipating, which I assumed were Will's.

"Maria, I believe you should stay with me for a while," Jack stated as he looked ahead. "Ah! Tortuga!"

We docked the Interceptor by the island's town. Jack held my hand and walked in the middle of Will and I as he discussed what the town had to offer.

A familiar face approached Jack and I. My face lit up as I remembered her name.

"Hello, Scarlett" I said, attempting to release Jack's grip on me, but to no avail.

"Hey, Mae Rose!" Scarlett said as Jack spoke up.

"Scarlett!" He said happily just as Scarlett backhanded him across the face. I chuckled, seeing that Scarlett still remembered that Jack was never gonna understand women.

"Not sure I deserved that." Jack stated.

Giselle walked over as I waved at her.

"Who was she?!" She asked Jack, her eyes searching for answers.

"What?" Jack asked, before getting slapped again, making a weird face at it as I laughed some more.

"I may have deserved that."

We then went to find Joshamee Gibbs, our former crew member. We found him sleeping by some pigs. I gave Jack a bucket of cold water to do the honors.

"Curse you for breathing, you slack-jawed idiot! Mother's love! Jack ! You should know better than to wake a man when he's sleeping. 'S bad luck." Gibbs proclaimed furiously.

"Ah, fortunately I know how to counter it. The man who did the waking buys, the man who was sleeping, a drink. The man who was sleeping drinks it while listening to a proposition from the man who did the waking."

"Aye, that'll about do it."

Will threw another bucket of water at Gibbs. I whirled around and glared at him, my chocolate eyes narrowing.

"Blast! I'm already awake!" Gibbs shouted at Will.

"That was for the smell," Will stated, but I still didn't hate him less.

We then walked together into a tavern. Jack was rather hesitant to leave me with Will, so he let me sit with him.

"Keep a sharp eye," he said to Will.

Jack and Gibbs began to chat about Barbossa and how he shouldn't be captain of the Pearl. I didn't follow along, as I was currently tired.

We left at nightfall and went back to the Interceptor. I went with Jack to the main cabin, while Will slept somewhere else. As I stripped off my weapons and such, I glanced over at Jack. He was looking at me in concern.

"What's the matter, Mae Rose?" He asked as I laid down on the bed. He laid down next to me as I put my head on his chest.

"Barbossa. I never fully explained what he did to me, did I?" I asked Jack. He shook his head, the small trinkets in his hair jangling quietly. "He-well-ugh never mind. I'm too tired right now," I said as I toyed with his braided beard. His eyelids fluttered as his eyes rolled up slightly. Hearing him groan softly, I took it as a go ahead. I stopped with his beard and went to a trinket. I twisted the trinkets around my finger as Jack smiled and wrapped an arm around me loosely.

"Well, you can tell me all the dastardly things that urchin-herder has done to you whenever." Jack said before gently kissing my temple. I smiled as I put a hand over his chest and soon fell asleep.