Another Fuck You Song

It was sticky and hot outside, summer was really there now. The Californian sun shone merciless through the window that was opened in the hope, a gentle breeze may find its way into the small room. The air conditioning was broken and the small apartment got hotter every day, which made it nearly unable for Loreen to concentrate on her studying.

Loreen exhaled exhausted and decided to take a break. It was senseless to study now. She took out her headphones and just wanted to start to play one of her playlists, as she reminded that she still hadn't listened to the song of Will's and Landon's band.

She logged into her mail-account and searched for the email, their manager had sent her. Scrolling down to the appendix, she found the mp3 file and looked at the title. Fuck you I'm famous. Not sure what to think about the title, she pressed play.

There was a short intro by the drums, leading over to a quite catchy guitar solo joined by synthesizer after a few beats. The drums going on to set a course at the end of every second beat, along with the guitar. It reminded her of a mixture of Hard Rock, Hip Hop and something else, Loreen couldn't name. The song sounded nothing like anything she had ever been listening to before, she couldn't even classify which music genre it would be. The into ended and a pre chorus started, someone singing along with guitar and drums, followed by the first verse that turned out to be a rap part. Again there was the pre chorus followed by the chorus, then again a Rap part, the chorus and at last an outro.

Loreen took off her headphones and looked at her laptop for a moment. Without any doubt, the boys got talent. Their music definitely was something new not like the stuff you listened to on radio. Loreen could see why they were on the way up to the charts. She didn't like Rap very much but that wasn't what had dropped her mouth open and slowly but defiantly raise anger inside her. How could anyone write lyrics like that?

Before she could think about it, she grabbed her phone and dialed Will's number. He picked up after the fourth ring, sounding a bit breathless. "Hello?"

"Hey Will, it's Loreen."

"Oh, hey Loreen. What's up, did anything happen?"

Oh yes, your song happened, she thought but didn't say it out loud.

"I didn't know you were rapping", she said and she could nearly feel Will's confusion through the phone. "I do", he said carefully. "So you've been listening to the song. Did you like it?"

"It was... Unique", she carefully stated and again she was in rage. Will laughed softly. "It's just... Can I-" Loreen continued slightly angrily before she could reverse herself: "Can I talk to Landon? Please."

"You want to talk to Landon?" Will sounded mildly surprised and Loreen expected some questions now, like why she would want to talk to him or more details what she thought about the song etcetera. But to her surprise Will simply said: "Sure. Wait, I'll hand him the phone."

Will didn't seem like a person of much words and Loreen started to worry a bit under her furiousness. Landon probably wouldn't take this well.

There was some tapping and chattering in the background and she heard Will talking to Landon. After moments of patient waiting, there was a sound of something like glass on glass and Landon's unique voice sounded through the speakers of the phone.

"Yeah?" The young man didn't sound very enthusiastic of her calling him and Loreen took a deep breath before she went on.

"Hi Landon. It's Loreen. Do you have a moment?" Trying to hide her anger from her voice, she went on. Loreen nearly saw Landon's slightly annoyed face in front of her as he sighed and said: "Go on. What's the problem?"