Chapter 37 - The Last Time

The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.

- Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

"How did you —"

Leah's question was interrupted by a cacophony of explosions that rocked the ground and sent pebbles clattering down from the ceiling. Both their heads jerked towards the entrance to find it obscured by dust and fallen bodies. Screams of machine fire shot through the haze, the dust in the air reflecting and scattering it in streaks of lightning.

Leah kicked out at Jared, hoping the momentary distraction had broken his concentration, but the moment she moved, he pressed down harder, pinning her limbs.

Jared glared at her and then his free hand travelled down her sides, checking for weapons. When he didn't find any he pulled her up, pressing his knife against her spine.

"If you resist again this knife's going in your back," he said, his voice hard.

Leah was beginning to panic, her mind racing with ways to get out of this.

"Jared, I'm —"

"I'd be very careful what you say right now," he growled and the blade pressed down harder, cutting through the first layers of her skin.

"I'm sorry, okay!" Leah exclaimed, flinching away. "You didn't leave me much choice."

Another explosion shook the fortification and two men were blasted into the tunnel, their blood splattering the walls. Jared cursed under his breath and spun Leah around, pushing her back the way she'd come.

"Move," he snapped. "I don't plan on dying today."

Leah stumbled forward, following his commands.

"Did you get my note?" she asked.

"I don't care about your note."

His words were accompanied by another jab and Leah fell silent, letting him direct her away from the chaos. Up the stairs, down the corridor on the second floor, back past her room, around the corner where she'd fought the guards.

The vibrations of the battle were fading behind them, but Leah could still feel the tension of it. The smell of gunpowder still tinged the air and faint screams echoed around, distorted and echoing in the tunnels.

She gritted her teeth against a frustrated scream as they moved deeper and deeper into the fort. She'd been so close to freedom.

"Where are you taking me?"

Jared didn't answer and the floor rocked with another explosion. Leah glanced uneasily at the roof, watching the rubble fall like confetti.

"You know you're outnumbered," she said. "You can't win this."

Jared jabbed her once more, directing her up another flight of stairs that ended with a wooden trap door.

"Open it," he commanded.

Leah did, and was blinded by sunlight. Jared pushed her forward and she realised they were emerging on top of the cliffs, the rocks dropping sharply only metres away. She could see silhouettes lining the headlands, startled hikers rushing around and pointing at the water below them, where the battle was raging.

She turned from them and eyed Jared, taking in the slightly unhinged film in his eyes, the dirt-streaked and tousled hair.

"Why are we up here?" she asked.